Mutiple Math Operations in the Same Cell

zgreen

Office Version
  1. 2011
Platform
  1. Windows
Apologies if this has been answered (a post from 2020 didn't solve it and I can't find anything else)....

I want to create a formula that adds two cells THEN divides the result by a third cell.
eg. (B6+B7)/G23

Alternatively, I'd like to add multiple cells in the denominator as well (like the numerator).
eg. (B6+B7)/(G12:G23)

Sounds simple enough but I always get a result of "1."
What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Excel Facts

What is the shortcut key for Format Selection?
Ctrl+1 (the number one) will open the Format dialog for whatever is selected.
What is the actual data in the cells? Are all the cells formatted as numbers? Is the result of your formula a number near one, so it appears as 1 due to rounding?

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm surprised you got any answer at all, as you can't do a division by a range of cells in this manner, if anything, you would get #VALUE! error.

Are you trying to divide by the Total of the range?

Excel Formula:
=(B6+B7)/SUM(G12:G23)

Upvote 0
I'm surprised you got any answer at all, as you can't do a division by a range of cells in this manner, if anything, you would get #VALUE! error.

Yes we can. Learn about "implicit intersection", before MSFT added the "@" operator. One explanation: Excel Implicit Intersection | Exceljet .

In a nutshell, the formula might work when it is entered a cell in rows 12 to 23, but only if the reference cell in column G is non-zero.

For more explanation, see Excel Implicit Intersection | Exceljet .

(Note: I have not really vetted that explanation in detail. It just looks like it has the "right idea", after a quick scan.)

But I agree: that is not likely to be zgreen's intent. I agree with jtakw's guess.

Upvote 0
Correction, my result is always "0" (at one point it was "1" but I can't replicate that anymore so not sure what I did)

#jtakw - yes, I'm wanting to divide by a range (array?) of values. Having said that, I'd also like to be able to divide by adding multiple cell values in brackets

#joeu2004 - I have to admit that I only half understood that article. I was hoping for something more obvious/simple

Specifically, I'm building a template where I would like to plug in values from other cells. Some of the cell values are simple numbers (entered manually) where other numbers have already been SUM-ed or PRODUCT-ed but I need that value for my formula. (Hopefully I explained that clearly.)

Upvote 0
I'm still unclear on what you want.

You should post Sample Data and expected Results, with an explanation. Preferably using XL2BB, not a picture (see my signature).

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webster33

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back