Jyggalag

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I have this file that was converted from PDF to Excel.

I would really like to filter everything in column A by date

However, when I do it looks like this:

1661348853085.png

It filters down until row 687

The row looks like this:

1661348898112.png

I have no idea why it stops?

It used to stop at points like these as well:

1661348925460.png

It gets fixed if I (in the case above) delete row 948. I am not sure why, but this apparently blocks the filter from continuing down the column

However, my file has over 10.000 rows and it would take me ages to do this manually.

Does anybody have experience with this, or a nice solution simple solution to it, or both? :)

Would be highly appreciated!

Thank you all :)

Kind regards,
Jyggalag

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
This is before I made any changes at all to the document except apply a filter btw:

1661349430142.png

Which then returns this:

1661349453911.png

So it already stops at row 94 or 96

Upvote 0
If you only select 1 cell in your data range, Filter will use what is known as the Current Region to decide what to include in the filter area.
Current Region includes everything around that cell until it hits a Row that is empty (vertically) or a Column that is empty (horizontally).

To overcome this you need to manually select the "Entire area" you want to filter and not leave it up to Excel to automatically work it out.

If you have the original PDF file it is worth considering doing it all in Power Query. You can still use Power Query with what you have but you would again need to manually select the entire area and convert it to a Table so PQ knows what to include.

To Check what Excel is seeing as the current region, select a cell and press Ctrl+Shift+8 ( or Ctrl+*).

Upvote 0
Solution
T
If you only select 1 cell in your data range, Filter will use what is known as the Current Region to decide what to include in the filter area.
Current Region includes everything around that cell until it hits a Row that is empty (vertically) or a Column that is empty (horizontally).

To overcome this you need to manually select the "Entire area" you want to filter and not leave it up to Excel to automatically work it out.

If you have the original PDF file it is worth considering doing it all in Power Query. You can still use Power Query with what you have but you would again need to manually select the entire area and convert it to a Table so PQ knows what to include.

To Check what Excel is seeing as the current region, select a cell and press Ctrl+Shift+8 ( or Ctrl+*).
This is amazing!!

It worked! I just hit CTRL SHIFT + arrow movements and selected everything and then pressed DATA --> FILTER

Thank you so much Sir!

I'm still a bit lost as to why it does this, as I have had tables with empty cells before, where it did not stop the filter from working, but happy to hear this and it worked, so thank you very much! :)

Upvote 0
Perhaps previously although you had empty cells in column you working with, the rows of those cells weren't entirely empty and had something in columns that formed part of the current region.

If you are interested watch the first 1 minute of this.

Anyway glad you have it working now. Thanks for letting me know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back