My database is slow suddenly?

behedwin

Hi
I have had a constant size of my database for almost a year.
Now suddenly my database have become very slow.
First i thought it was my network since i got the files on a server.
But running some test i get 50-70 Mbps. So it should not be a slow network.
However, if i put my database on my local computer it do get much faster again....
I dont understand that!!

I have the file split so i got a frontend and a backend.
It have been fast for over a year and i have done regular repair/compacts of the files.

Any ideas of what i can do to fix this. I dont even know where to search for an error....

So a rightclick to search is not fast and good enough i think.... Maybe i am wrong
I am not sure what you mean. Why would it be "not fast or good" to use an inbuilt search feature? There is nothing that is either slow or bad in doing this. Do you have an opposition to right-clicking? Nevertheless, you can see what I mean about my unsuccessful attempts to encourage people to use this feature. I am not even sure if you have tried it yet and you don't like it either :(

Back to your data, needing more detail here:
Datatypes varies from field to field. most of them are string/text and some are numbers.
1. Nyckel_Kort_Nummber is text
2. Nyckeltyp is some predefined options in a dropdown list for the user so i guess text
3. LasSystem is also text

what kind of text values are stored for Nyckel_Kort_Nummber?
what are the options for Nyckeltyp?
what kind of text values are LasSystem?

We want to be able to look at a value in your text box and be able to decide with certainty whether is is one of these three possible values. That may be possible but it depends on what the possible values for each of these fields. for instance, if the three fields can have any values whatsoever that can be typed in by the user, then it's probably not possible. However, more likely we can narrow it down quite a lot from that worst-case scenario. For instance, if your Nyckel_Kort_Nummber field is really a number (stored as text) and the other two are not numbers, then we have really got a good start. And if the predefined options for Nyckeltyp are never used as values for LasSystem, then we have probably got it worked out already.

Then your list box query can be directly much more efficiently at the field that it really needs to search in, and possibly with better query structure as well.

Also, what is the definition of KeyOwnerSelect_Query (the SQL for it)?

The reasoning in general is that this query (used to source the listbox) is very inefficient so we want to speed it up with using better code. Maybe it will work, maybe not. Other options are to leave it as is and wait to see if you find another reason for the slowdown before you tinker with this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back