Mystery Cell

Maxiron

Hello all. I have a document that has boxes that I can't figure out. The boxes act like a regular cell but they overlay all the "base" cells in the book. I can add text and formulas into these cells. I can move them around but not place them over another (I get a "We can't do that to a merged cell." banner. I cannot resize/reshape them in any way...there isn't an option when I right-click to get the banner or on the ribbon bar. I cannot highlight and press the delete button to get rid of them....I have to open a range of base cells around this overlay cell and 'shift row up' to basically delete it from the page.

I like using these boxes but I don't know what they are or how to make new ones. I've been searching online for days and can't find any video or write-up on what these are and how to make them. Any help please?

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
I would guess they are but what puzzles me is how they overlay the base cell layout. The originator compressed the entire book into compact columns and rows. These boxes are on top of these compact rows/columns.

Upvote 0
You can use the snipping tool, copy and paste the picture into your post.

For example

1581707300554.png

Upvote 0
If you select "design mode" on the Developer tab of the ribbon & then click on one of these "cells" do you see something like

Attachments

• 1581688639642.png
    1581688639642.png
    28.3 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0
Fluff, I tried that originally but to answer you, no. I don't get any kind of border control to resize the box. I do get a green highlight border with a pull-down/right button which adds another cell up, down, right left...(just like if I had a formula in a cell and pulled it down to sequence more cells below).

Upvote 0
davesexcel, your reply is the key! They are merged. I went back and saw the drop-down on the "merge & center" and saw the unmerge cells. THAT WAS IT! I was so stuck on the fact that it looked layered or something. I feel like a fool.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back