Name Manager add-in created a blank sheet

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I finally got around to installing the Name Manager add-in. I need it because in a very complex (probably unnecessarily so, so please don't chastise) workbook, I have 942 names defined with over 90 on some sheets. This is pretty unwieldy with the built-in name manager, because it has no ability to restrict the names to the active sheet.

I had two windows of the workbook (Workbook X) open to different sheets (Sheets A & B). I was working in Sheet A, which has 91 names defined local to that sheet, and trying to learn how to use this new tool.

I was checking out the various features and testing a few, such as the one that highlights named ranges. I don't know what I did, but when I closed the Name Manager, I had a blank sheet in place of Sheet A with no filename in the title bar. Sheet B is still open and looks intact. If I click on the "X" to close the blank sheet, I get a warning message asking if I want to save Workbook X. So Excel seems to think that the blank sheet is part of Workbook X. If I click on File, the Info option, and several others, including Save As, are greyed out. So there, Excel doesn't have a clue.

I wasn't sure what to do. I made a copy of the workbook. Then I switched to Sheet B and closed it. I got the same warning about saving and clicked on Save. Sheet B closed, but the blank sheet was still open. When I clicked on the "X", it closed without any message.

Does anyone know what's going on? Is this add-in flaky? I am now remembering that I did install it several years ago and ran into some problems then and uninstalled it.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back