Named range duplicated with worksheet duplication troubles

KC Cat

I have a workbook with a summary worksheet that leverages a large data set that I pull down from accounting monthly. The monthly data pulls are preserved on individually named worksheets (e.g. Feb22AllTrans). I have 5 named ranges on the monthly worksheets that my summary worksheet points to. I update the summary worksheet formulas to point to the latest monthly worksheet by changing the named range references in my formulas.

When I duplicate a previous monthly worksheet to paste in my current data pull, I end up with duplicate range names in the Name Manager for the new worksheet & the previous worksheet the new one was created from. The names are duplicated, but the newest versions do "Refer to:" to the newest worksheet. When I try to edit the duplicated range names to change the name (e.g. Jan22TotalCost to Feb22TotalCost), the new names are not recognized in formulas (even though they clearly exist in the Name Manager)?

The only way I can make anything work is to delete the duplicated range names, and then rebuild them. Is there a super secret trick to making these duplicated range names work without deleting/recreating?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
Would it be possible to always download into the same tab? For example, name that tab "Download". Then prior to each new download, preserve the previous download by adding a new tab and Copy/Paste Special Values and Formatting from the Download tab to the preservation tab. That way only a single set of range names exists and the summary worksheet is always pointing to the Download tab.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back