Named Range Questions

Rugman67

I preface this conversation with the fact that I a new to Named Ranges and I don't know a thing about VBA having said that using them a bit I see a problem right off the bat, unless you worksheet is a Table then they are not Dynamic, in other words if you add new data you have to update the Named Range, yes? if the range was in column C for example can I make it just managing them $C:$C and if I am using formulas like MIN/MAV/AVG and my Field Name is a Text it will not count this Field, right? What if the Field Start on Row C5 though, then that throws that answer out the door. Also, when you have so many Name Ranges how do I know what the name of the workbook that I created the range in? Name Manager list the WorkSheet Name but not the Workbook. That seems to be a missing field? I guess you could put it in the Comments Section?

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
I moved your question to a new thread. Unless you are asking specifically about a reply in someone else's thread, you should post your questions to a new thread.

if you add new data you have to update the Named Range, yes?
Not necessarily. If you insert rows between the beginning and end of your named range, the named range will automatically grow.
And if you delete rows within your named range, it will automatically shrink.

Also, when you have so many Name Ranges how do I know what the name of the workbook that I created the range in? Name Manager list the WorkSheet Name but not the Workbook. That seems to be a missing field?
Not sure I follow. When you view named ranges, it just lists the name ranges in that specific workbook only. So using the Name Manager, it is impossible to see named range in other workbooks - you can only see the ones in that particular workbook.

Upvote 0
Thanks, do you need special permission to create a new thread? How do I create a thread. All I can find is how to reply to one. I did not know the Name Manager only shows the names of defined ranges you created in that particular workbook. So if I am in a new workbook and I want to link back to a different workbook and I want to use that Name Range I defined, can I do so?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
got it. Sorry I could not see that, yes of course pick the forum, for some reason I thought the whole website was designated to Excel but now I can see that is encompasses more than that. You are so lucky to know the answers to all these questions. Where can I get a basic level of understanding about VBA and Macros, do you have good source material? Kind Regards.

Upvote 0
You are so lucky to know the answers to all these questions.
Here is a little secret - I don't! I know a lot, but not everything. The key is to know where to look, and Google Searches are some of our best friends!;)

Where can I get a basic level of understanding about <acronym title="visual basic for applications" style="border-width: 0px 0px 1px; border-top-style: initial; border-right-style: initial; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-left-style: initial; border-top-color: initial; border-right-color: initial; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); border-left-color: initial; border-image: initial; cursor: help; color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">VBA</acronym> and Macros, do you have good source material?
There are lots of books and on-line tutorials out there. MrExcel has pubished a bunch of books which can be found here: The MrExcel Store - Welcome to The MrExcel Store
This one looks like it might be what you are after: VBA & Macros Excel 2016

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camelliaCase

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back