Named Range Reference Trouble

brohymn62

Hello,

I have several Named Tables set up which sort information from other tables into various sorts. I am refencing a specific column from these tables in an array formula which I am using to create a drop down list... for some reason my formula isn't working right... When I use Offset with regular range references it works fine, but when I use the structured references my formula breaks down. Any ideas? Here are the two formulas

WORKING FORMULA:
Code:
=OFFSET(COMMON!A2:A500,1,0,COUNTIF(COMMON!$A1:$A500,"<>0"))

BROKEN FORMULA:
Code:
=OFFSET(Table750[DESCRIPTION],1,0,COUNTIF(COMMON!$A1:$A500,"<>0"))

USING: EXCEL 2007

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
What do you mean by "breaks down" exactly?

Upvote 0
Excel Tables are already dynamic, so there is no need for invoking OFFSET...

Let's have the following Excel Table (created with Insert | Table)...

DESCRIPTION
COST
Cleaning
Travel Time
Wet Time
Set- UP
Operating Equipment
Spotter
Supervision
Plumbing

<TBODY>
</TBODY>

If there are no blanks in the DESCRIPTION column, define DescList using Formulas | Name Manager as referring to:

=Table1[DESCRIPTION]

Now you can use DescList as Source in any data validated cell in order to obtain a dropdown list.

Upvote 0
Excel Tables are already dynamic, so there is no need for invoking OFFSET...

Let's have the following Excel Table (created with Insert | Table)...

DESCRIPTIONCOST
Cleaning200.58
Travel Time489.56
Wet Time55.00
Set- UP855.00
Operating Equipment780.00
Spotter200.00
Supervision1200.00
Plumbing200.58

<tbody>
</tbody>

If there are no blanks in the DESCRIPTION column, define DescList using Formulas | Name Manager as referring to:

=Table1[DESCRIPTION]

Now you can use DescList as Source in any data validated cell in order to obtain a dropdown list.

Thank you for responding, You are correct in your statement, but the reason I am using offset is because my table is popullated by dynamic information so there are several rows at the bottom which I don't want to show up in the drop down menu, The offset formula is supposed to alleviate this but only supplying the range with active information. Perhaps I am approaching this problem the wrong but I have been unsuccessful at getting Data Validation to understand any of my formulas.

Upvote 0
Thank you for responding, You are correct in your statement, but the reason I am using offset is because my table is popullated by dynamic information so there are several rows at the bottom which I don't want to show up in the drop down menu, The offset formula is supposed to alleviate this but only supplying the range with active information. Perhaps I am approaching this problem the wrong but I have been unsuccessful at getting Data Validation to understand any of my formulas.

You need to make explicit what you want to exclude. The COUNTIF(COMMON!$A1:$A500,"<>0") doesn't make that clear.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back