Named Range - unwanted @ and spill blocker show up when reopening a file.

GeeWhiz7

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
Hi Gurus,
I have a defined name referencing a column in a worksheet that is actively calculated.
It is called _5yrDates and is simply Today() - 5 years. Other sheets use this name to grab the same data.

When I close and reopen my file and click on the first cell in the named range, it has an @ added to the name (so now it's @_5yrDates) and #VALUE! in the cell. I can delete the @ and it works, but I would rather it not be there in the first place since it happens 120 more times in other worksheets.

Left is what it looks like after reopening. Right is what it should look like.
Farthest right is another problem that comes up when I reopen the file, one of the dates always reappears and blocks the SPILL even if I delete and save before reopening.

I figure they're related, but don't know what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for the help!
-Will

1638377352942.png
1638377441685.png
1638377515234.png

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
Hmm ... formulae changing, dates reappearing.

Have you got macro code running, e.g. on Workbook_Open?

Upvote 0
That's the weird part, I don't have any workbooks with Workbook_Open VBA attached and none of the other macros run without a button push.
That said, when I save the file (.xlsb) to an .xls the issue does not occur. Since I don't have macros running, then I'm assuming it has something to do with dynamic arrays which .xls no longer handle??

Upvote 0
That's the weird part, I don't have any workbooks with Workbook_Open VBA attached and none of the other macros run without a button push.
That said, when I save the file (.xlsb) to an .xls the issue does not occur. Since I don't have macros running, then I'm assuming it has something to do with dynamic arrays which .xls no longer handle??
Sorry, my mistake in writing dynamic arrays. This file has no dynamic arrays at all. It only has named ranges.
the other part I forgot to mention is the file takes longer to open than normal and the little "calculating" icon at the bottom is madly flashing before it opens.

Upvote 0
Are you sure that if you open the VB Editor, and look specifically under the "ThisWorkbook" module, that there is no VBA code in there?

Upvote 0
Definitely there was no code in ThisWorkbook.

I got tired of searching so I deleted all the macros and named ranges that were impacted then remade them by cut and paste and somehow this fixes the problem...for now.

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back