Named ranges in Charts

ElvisSteel

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a table of data that I use to create a chart based on Location. Currently the table has 10 locations, but only 6 are currently used. The lines on the chart just drop to zero for the blank locations, and I want to use a dynamic range for this axis.
However, when I try to enter this, I get an error, and if I try to enter the dynamic range directly I also get an error.
I'm sure this must be possible, can anyone help?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Hi

Can you please be a little more specific in terms of the formula you use for the dynamic range, and the errors that you encounter?

Perhaps it has to do with the syntax of your named range reference. When referring to names in charts you need to preceed the name with the workbook name such as:

Book1!MyName

Upvote 0
Jon,

Thanks for your help.
I was not including the workbook name in the chart, and it seems OK now

Steve

Upvote 0
I'm still having some problems with this.
Requirement is simple (on the face of it)

I have a table which can contain up to 10 columns with a single row of data. I have a chart which is plotted from this.
If all 10 columns have headings, the chart will be based on 10 entries.
If only the first 5 columns have headings, I want the chart to just show the 5 entries and not the data without headings (always zero).
I know how to set up a dynamic range name (using Offset) to set a drop down list which dynamically adjusts according to the entries in the headings, but I am still having issues with getting a chart to work with this in the same way.
Jon pointed me towards using the full name in the reference, and I go it to work, but now I have done something and cannot get it back.

I'm sure it cannot be that difficult!

Regards

Steve

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back