Need A Fuzzy SUMIF

djmyers

I'm trying to SUMIF numbers in one column if text strings in an adjoining column contain specific text. For instance, if Column A contains a series of text string like this:

COLUMN A
A2: some text etc. other text SEARCH-VALUE more text, even more text, etc.
A3: another string SEARCH-VALUE more string
A4: yet another string SEARCH-VALUE yet more string
[etc...]

COLUMN B
B2: 42
B3: 24
B4: 87
[etc...]

And cell C2 contains this:
C2: SEARCHING-VALUE

What I need is a formula that refers to C2 but ignores the "ING" in SEARCHING-VALUE. (The "ING" is just an example. In my real-world problem the reference cell contains a hyphenated number, e.g.: 12-345678. The value in the text strings is a truncated version of that number, e.g.: 12-5678.)

If the reference cell (C2) contained the exact value I need to search for in the text strings, I could just use a formula like =SUMIF(A:A,"*"&C2&"*",B:B). What I need is a formula that ignores the "ING" (or the "34" in the number example) found in the reference cell.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
If in your real world, "ING" are always 2 digits and they are in the same position, then try this formula:

=SUMIFS(B2:B4,A2:A4,"*" & LEFT(C2,3) & "*",A2:A4,"*" & MID(C2,6,4) & "*")

Upvote 0
Thank you, DanteAmor! This solution works very well!

In the number example (12-345678 and 12-5678) your formula seems to work as long as the hyphenated numbers in the text strings contain the "5678" somewhere on the right side of the hyphen. For instance, if "12-12300056789999" shows up in a text string in Column A, the formula will return a count from Col. B, whereas a "1234-5678" in a text string will not result in the number from Col. B being counted.

Would you be kind enough to guide me through how this formula works? Also, how would I write it so that a value in Col. B is counted only if the text string in Col. A contains a matching two digits and a hyphen (e.g. "12-") and the number on the right side of the hyphen is either an exact match immediately following the hyphen (e.g. "-345678") or the 4-digit match immediately following the hyphen (e.g. "-5678")?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If this is not true: "If in your real world," ING "are always 2 digits and they are in the same position" so you could put other real examples. Maybe the solution is with a macro.

Upvote 0
DanteAmor: I was tired when I wrote the original question last night. In the "real world" situation I would need the "12-" to show up first, and the "5678" or the "345678" to immediately follow the first number pair and hyphen (e.g. the "12-" would immediately precede either the "5678" or the "345678"). I apologize I didn't make this clearer in the original post.

A formula would work out much better for me than a macro as my other colleagues who also work with this Workbook might balk at converting it to a macro-enabled workbook.

Any ideas for rewriting the formula with the above considerations in mind?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So if the string exists 12- and 5678 must count.
Try the following

=SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(SEARCH( LEFT(C2,3),$A$2:$A$10)))*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(C2,6,99),$A$2:$A$10)))*($B$2:$B$10))

Upvote 0
Thank you, DanteAmor.

This formula may be closer to what I'm looking for:
Code:
=SUMIFS(B2:B4,A2:A4,"*"&LEFT(C2,3)&"*",A2:A4,"*"&MID(C2,3,1)&RIGHT(C2,4)&"*")

Searching the table below, the above formula yields: 87

The two formulas you suggested -- which are both very helpful -- still give me the total count of column B (153). In my real world scenario, this could result in false positives.

What would really be great is if I could also adjust the formula so that it counts the number in column B if an exact match exists (like the one shown in A3).

STRINGSUMTHISREFERENCE
some text etc. 5678 other text 12- more text 12-3456 more text, even more text, etc.4212-345678
another string 12-345678 more string24
yet another string 12-5678 yet more string87

<tbody>
</tbody>

Kind regards,

djmyers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you, DanteAmor.

This formula may be closer to what I'm looking for:
Code:
=SUMIFS(B2:B4,A2:A4,"*"&LEFT(C2,3)&"*",A2:A4,"*"&MID(C2,3,1)&RIGHT(C2,4)&"*")

Searching the table below, the above formula yields: 87

The two formulas you suggested -- which are both very helpful -- still give me the total count of column B (153). In my real world scenario, this could result in false positives.

What would really be great is if I could also adjust the formula so that it counts the number in column B if an exact match exists (like the one shown in A3).

STRINGSUMTHISREFERENCE
some text etc. 5678 other text 12- more text 12-3456 more text, even more text, etc.4212-345678
another string 12-345678 more string24
yet another string 12-5678 yet more string87

<tbody>
</tbody>

Kind regards,

djmyers

This formula contemplates the coincidence

=SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(SEARCH( LEFT(C2,3),$A$2:$A$10)))*(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(MID(C2,6,99),$A$2:$A$10)))*($B$2:$B$10))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back