Need a life savor

SueC

Hi ... I have a file with 10 columns. One column (H) have numeric values and one with a reference number(J). I need to identify all the rows that have a common debit(plus) and credit(minus) with the same reference number. U have looked all over the site and can't seem to find what I am looking for. I do this manually every month, but the file just continues to grow with each period, so it is becoming cumbersome.

Hope there is a savior out there for me!

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
hi all ... thanks for all the suggestion. I like fairwinds but all I get is #VALUE! for response. Any idea what I could be doing wrong. The only thing that I changed was the end ranges from 13 to 13075.

Upvote 0
You must hold down both the Shift and Control keys when hitting Enter, anytime you directly edit that formula.

If you've done so, you'll see braces { } around the formula afterward.

Upvote 0
SueC said:
hi all ... thanks for all the suggestion. I like fairwinds but all I get is #VALUE! for response. Any idea what I could be doing wrong. The only thing that I changed was the end ranges from 13 to 13075.

Are you entering the formula as an array formula?

An array formula which must be entered using the Control+Shift+Enter key combination. The outermost braces, {}, are not entered by you -- they're supplied by Excel in recognition of a properly entered array formula. For more on this topic see the Excel help topic for "Create an array formula".

BTW, that's a fairly large range for an array formula.

And it's use will prevent you from sorting, inserting or deleting rows in your list.

Upvote 0
Thanks all .... I tried fairwind suggestion. Not sure why it is not working. I am getting #VALUE! on every row. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
just_jon said:
Mark -- if you do ABS in the concatenated column, you'll find a match between +100 and +100 wouldn't you?...

I'm not quite sure what Sue is after, but that shouldn't be a problem for double-entry bookkeeping. There'd need to be an offsetting amount (e.g., -200) for the same journal entry. If needed an additional column (criteria) could be added to insure that the occurrences of a given journal entry reference number MUST be an even number.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back