Need a program that will let me do this...

double click on a value from a long list of frequently used values (call this column 1). When I double click from this list in column 1 it automatically adds it to a second column (column 2) and puts the selection first in a list. When I select another value from column 1 it adds it to column 2 below the first selection made previously, and so on...

Here's what I'm having to do now using Excel.
I have a list of frequently used values, or "events" as we call them. This is a common list who's naming convention never changes. Part of what I do at work is collect Data specific to each one of these events. Problem is, we NEVER collect the data in the same order twice, and may or may not run all the events that are in the list. So when I get back to my desk I have to recreate this list in the order in which I ran the events.

At this point it's a matter of copying from "Column 1" the corresponding event from the list and pasting it to "Column 2" as #1. Then go back to the column 1 list, copy the next run we made and paste it to column 2 as #2. This repeats untill I have a list of events in the order in which they were ran in (some lists grow to the 60's, that's a lot of copying and pasting).

So again, it'd be really nice if I could find a program that would let me build a table or list of these commonly used events, double click an entry in the list, and have it build a second list in the order in which I make the selections. Excel is the closest I've been able to come, but there always seems to be some amount of copying and pasting going on.
Or perhaps I'm not using Excel properly?

I've tried playing with InfoPath this week but it's not quite what I'm looking for. Access is a little deep and seems like overkill for what I'm trying to do. But then again I'm not seasoned with Access at all so maybe it IS the right program but I'm just intimidated by it's complexity.

As far as I've gotten it seems Macros are the only way to go. Problem is, at work I'm unable to toy with macros on an effective level because IT has permissions locked down like a mutha.

Plus I've never really done more than just a two or three keystroke macro anyway so I'm a little scared...

With a little advice, I'd love to create something here at home to bring to work, Id be a HERO!!!

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Most of what you describe can be coded into excel, but you should post sample data (lets call it "sample data") so that someone can see exactly what it is you are up against. Use the HTML maker available on this site to post a smaller version of your event list to get started.

Upvote 0
Okay, so here's a sample of what I'm looking at. Again, this is a very dummbed-down sample for simplicity's sake.

What I'd like to do Is be able to double click an "event name" and have it put it on the left, right next to it's appropriate "Run #", taking with it the "file name".

What I'm havning to do now is copy both the file name and event name from two columns and paste it over to the list on the left. I.E. highlight G13:H13, Copy, Select B3, Paste.

Hope this is making sense to everyone. Thanks for the help.
Book1
ABCDEFGH
1Standard filename naming convention
2Run #FileNameEvent NameFileNameEvent Name
31abc85aBrokenConcrete @ 8.5
42abc85bBrokenConcrete @ 8.5
53abc10aBroken Concrete @ 10
64abc10bBroken Concrete @ 10
75alb12aLateral Bumps @12
86alb12bLateral Bumps @12
97asb12aSpeed Bumps @ 12
108asb12bSpeed Bumps @ 12
119asb15aSpeed Bumps @ 15
1210asb15bSpeed Bumps @ 15
1311ahm05aHigh Mogules @ 5
1412ahm05bHigh Mogules @ 5
1513ach05aChuckholes @ 5
1614ach05bChuckholes @ 5
1715ahc05aHardCurves @ 5
1816ahc05bHardCurves @ 5
1917adb20aDiagonal Bumps @ 20
2018adb20bDiagonal Bumps @ 20
2119a2f8aTwo FigureEights
2220a2f8bTwo FigureEights
2321acstaCurb Strikes
2422acstbCurb Strikes
2523atr9a9" Trenches
2624atr9b9" Trenches
2725atr12a12" Trenches
2826atr12b12" Trenches
Sheet1

Upvote 0
How is the appropriate run # determined?

This can be done, but the specifics are kind of necessary....it may be able to be done with formulas or VB

Upvote 0
Where I work we do vehicle testing on a proving-grounds (so-to-speak). So the Events we run are part of a circuit that does not necissarily follow how it's listed in our spreadsheet. We may or may not run ALL the events in the list (and never in the same order). But it's crucial, when we look at the data we've collected from the track, that we know "run #1" is lateral bumps, run #2 is BodyTwist and so forth.

Not sure if I answered you question or not...

Upvote 0
Hi
paste the code onto sheet module
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
With Target
    If Intersect(Target, Range("g3", Cells(Rows.Count, "h"))) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    If .Column = 8 Then x = -1
    Range("b" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Offset(1).Resize(, 2).Value = _
    .Offset(, x).Resize(, 2).Value
End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
paste the code onto sheet module

Whoa Tiger!!! Sorry for being such a noob but I have no idea what you just said. I know I can figure it out, I just need baby steps right now.

"Sheet Module" is that part of a macro script or something?
Excel's Help Search results came up with a blank stare when I entered Sheet Module in the "search for" box.

Sorry, I guess I forgot to tell everyone, I'm not nearly at the level most of you are at.

Upvote 0
Right click the tab on the worksheet and choose view code.

The window that pops up is the Visual Basic Editor.

You would just past the code provided into the window on the right.

you can then go back to your sheet and double click in column G for what you want moved over. The will move over in order of how you double click ....

try Jindons code and shout back.

Upvote 0
HA HA THAT FREAKIN' RULES!!!

Whoa, my mind is blown!

That seems to do it. Now do I save the VB editor and close it or will it automatically apply itself when I exit the editor.

So, will this code only work for this specific worksheet? The one at work is quite a bit longer. I'd like to just use this code and apply it to the worksheets we are currently using.

Nonetheless this is EXACTLY what I'm looking for!!!

jindon you rule!

Upvote 0
right now it will only work in that worksheet, but you can paste into any sheet the same way.

When you save the excel file the macro will save with it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back