Need a SUMPRODUCT alternative

angelatx

Hey everyone! I am pulling out my hair and finally decided I just needed to ask for help somewhere. Apparently, I know just enough to be dangerous... :LOL:

I am creating a dashboard with multiple locations that I need to roll up into one summary page. Each location is on a separate worksheet. The data is laid out with the rows representing weeks and the columns representing service times. There are multiple categories for each service time and not every location has the same service time. I can write an array INDEX MATCH MATCH formula to pull one location at a time, but if I try to add them all together, it breaks. I tried SUMIFS, but couldn't make that work either.

What I really want is to add together all the matching cells from each sheet, but if ALL matching cells are blank, I want the result to be a blank, as well. I don't want a bunch of zeros for future weeks.

In the end, after not being able to make either SUMIFS or INDEX MATCH MATCH work, I resorted to SUMPRODUCT, and hoped that it wouldn't slow down my workbook too much. Well, it did. Now as I am trying to populate the historical data in each location, there is literally a 5-10 second lag after inputting a cell before it will move to the next cell. I broke the workbook, even though my summary page is displayed what I want.

Here is what my summary page looks like currently, with my SUMPRODUCT formula (this works for me):
skitch.png

My SUMPRODUCT formula is as follows (I have multiple helper cells in row 4 with the names of the headers with white text that I used when I thought I could make INDEX MATCH MATCH work):
=IF(SUMPRODUCT((WeeklyBC!$A$7:$A$60=WeeklyCW!$A7)*(WeeklyBC!$B$6:$DT$6=WeeklyCW!B$6)*(WeeklyBC!$B$4:$DT$4=WeeklyCW!B$4),WeeklyBC!$B$7:$DT$60)+SUMPRODUCT((WeeklyPI!$A$7:$A$60=WeeklyCW!$A7)*(WeeklyPI!$B$6:$DB$6=WeeklyCW!B$6)*(WeeklyPI!$B$4:$DB$4=WeeklyCW!B$4),WeeklyPI!$B$7:$DB$60)+SUMPRODUCT((WeeklyRP!$A$7:$A$60=WeeklyCW!$A7)*(WeeklyRP!$B$6:$CT$6=WeeklyCW!B$6)*(WeeklyRP!$B$4:$CT$4=WeeklyCW!B$4),WeeklyRP!$B$7:$CT$60)+SUMPRODUCT((WeeklyRF!$A$7:$A$60=WeeklyCW!$A7)*(WeeklyRF!$B$6:$DL$6=WeeklyCW!B$6)*(WeeklyRF!$B$4:$DL$4=WeeklyCW!B$4),WeeklyRF!$B$7:$DL$60)+SUMPRODUCT((WeeklySA!$A$7:$A$60=WeeklyCW!$A7)*(WeeklySA!$B$6:$CT$6=WeeklyCW!B$6)*(WeeklySA!$B$4:$CT$4=WeeklyCW!B$4),WeeklySA!$B$7:$CT$60)+SUMPRODUCT((WeeklyWS!$A$7:$A$60=WeeklyCW!$A7)*(WeeklyWS!$B$6:$DJ$6=WeeklyCW!B$6)*(WeeklyWS!$B$4:$DJ$4=WeeklyCW!B$4),WeeklyWS!$B$7:$DJ$60)=0,"",SUMPRODUCT((WeeklyBC!$A$7:$A$60=WeeklyCW!$A7)*(WeeklyBC!$B$6:$DT$6=WeeklyCW!B$6)*(WeeklyBC!$B$4:$DT$4=WeeklyCW!B$4),WeeklyBC!$B$7:$DT$60)+SUMPRODUCT((WeeklyPI!$A$7:$A$60=WeeklyCW!$A7)*(WeeklyPI!$B$6:$DB$6=WeeklyCW!B$6)*(WeeklyPI!$B$4:$DB$4=WeeklyCW!B$4),WeeklyPI!$B$7:$DB$60)+SUMPRODUCT((WeeklyRP!$A$7:$A$60=WeeklyCW!$A7)*(WeeklyRP!$B$6:$CT$6=WeeklyCW!B$6)*(WeeklyRP!$B$4:$CT$4=WeeklyCW!B$4),WeeklyRP!$B$7:$CT$60)+SUMPRODUCT((WeeklyRF!$A$7:$A$60=WeeklyCW!$A7)*(WeeklyRF!$B$6:$DL$6=WeeklyCW!B$6)*(WeeklyRF!$B$4:$DL$4=WeeklyCW!B$4),WeeklyRF!$B$7:$DL$60)+SUMPRODUCT((WeeklySA!$A$7:$A$60=WeeklyCW!$A7)*(WeeklySA!$B$6:$CT$6=WeeklyCW!B$6)*(WeeklySA!$B$4:$CT$4=WeeklyCW!B$4),WeeklySA!$B$7:$CT$60)+SUMPRODUCT((WeeklyWS!$A$7:$A$60=WeeklyCW!$A7)*(WeeklyWS!$B$6:$DJ$6=WeeklyCW!B$6)*(WeeklyWS!$B$4:$DJ$4=WeeklyCW!B$4),WeeklyWS!$B$7:$DJ$60))

The INDEX MATCH MATCH formula I was trying to expand upon was: {=IFERROR(INDEX(WeeklyBC!$B$7:$DT$60,MATCH(WeeklyCW!$A7,WeeklyBC!$A$6:$A60,0),MATCH(1,(WeeklyCW!B$6=WeeklyBC!$B$6:$DT$6)*(WeeklyCW!B$4=WeeklyBC!$B$4:$DT$4),0)),"")}

I was hoping to just add a bunch of those together from each sheet, but it keeps breaking on me when there is no match on one of the sheets. It works great if it finds a match on all sheets, but otherwise, it breaks.

For example, both the BC and PI sheets have a 10am service under adult attendance, so this works fine: {=IFERROR(INDEX(WeeklyBC!$B$7:$DT$60,MATCH(WeeklyCW!$A7,WeeklyBC!$A$6:$A60,0),MATCH(1,(WeeklyCW!D$6=WeeklyBC!$B$6:$DT$6)*(WeeklyCW!D$4=WeeklyBC!$B$4:$DT$4),0)),"")+IFERROR(INDEX(WeeklyPI!$B$7:$DB$60,MATCH(WeeklyCW!$A7,WeeklyPI!$A$6:$A60,0),MATCH(1,(WeeklyCW!D$6=WeeklyPI!$B$6:$DB$6)*(WeeklyCW!D$4=WeeklyPI!$B$4:$DB$4),0)),"")}.

However, it returns #VALUE for the Sat 6pm service, because PI doesn't have that. And, if I put it in a future week where there is no data at all, it returns 0.
skitch.png

I just want it to ignore errors (no match) and return a blank if all the matching cells are blank. I have tried wrapping the entire thing in not blank formulas, but they don't seem to work, so that must be where I'm going wrong. I think at some point I tried to SUMIF or SUMIFS the whole thing together, as well, but I just can't seem to put it all together...

I hope that makes sense. Please let me know if there is more data sampling needed, etc. and I appreciate any assistance! :pray:

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Hello,

You should make your life much much easier ... with your own customized UDF ....:wink:

Upvote 0
That is definitely something on my radar to learn, but I have yet to jump into that world and unfortunately, I don't have the time to do it for this particular project...

Upvote 0
Re,

In my humble opinion ... you could kill two birds with the same stone ... :wink:

Upvote 0
why are you so afraid of zeroes and #VALUE ?
take small steps, just start with one sheet, assess if the results are correct, then expand to other sheets
you can always postprocess the result, or 'hide' the unwanted results with conditional formatting

Upvote 0
The reason we don't want the zeros is just for ease in reading the data for those who will have access to it on a weekly basis. It's super easy to see where the bottom is when there aren't a bunch of zeros cluttering up future weeks. That being said, using conditional formatting to hide zeros may be the way I have to go, but if there are actually zeros typed into a service (as in, the service was held and there were zero people), we actually want to SEE that zero, otherwise it will appear that data simply wasn't typed in.

And starting with small steps is generally the process I take. I can make it work for one sheet, then add a second, etc. The problem is getting the whole thing to work when I need it to ignore blanks within the sheets because there is no match. I need it to ignore them and not return an error. ALL locations have a 10am and an 1130am, and I can make those formulas work just fine. But, only two locations have an 830am, and I cannot make it add ONLY those and return those - it gives me an error when trying to ignore those with no match...

Upvote 0
Cross posted https://www.excelforum.com/excel-fo...ndex-match-sumifs-sumproduct-alternative.html

While we do not prohibit Cross-Posting on this site, we do ask that you please mention you are doing so and provide links in each of the threads pointing to the other thread (see rule 13 here along with the explanation: Forum Rules).
This way, other members can see what has already been done in regards to a question, and do not waste time working on a question that may already be answered.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VanGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back