Need a VBA code to Validate columns in spreadsheet

levanoj

I need a code that validates my spreadsheet by checking the following:
  • All cell values under the 'Button Number' header (column A) must be a numeric value within range of 1-600
  • All cell values under the 'Button Type' header (column B) can only be one of the following values: Speedial, ResourceAndSpeedDial, Resource, HuntAndSpeedDial, ICM, InvalidButtonType and must also be case sensitive
  • All cell values under the 'Button Label' header (column C) can contain any alphanumeric value except when the cell value in column B of the same row is 'InvalidButtonType', in which case there should be no value present
  • All cell values under the 'Button Lock' header (column D) can only be one of the following values: true, false and must also be case sensitive
  • All cell values under the 'SpeedDialType' header (column E) can only be one of the following values: none, home, office, mobile and must also be case sensitive, except when the cell value in column B of the same row is 'InvalidButtonType', in which case there should be no value present
  • All cell values under the 'Incoming Action Rings' header (column F) can only be one of the following values: none, repeat, single and must also be case sensitive, except when the cell value in column B of the same row is 'InvalidButtonType', in which case there should be no value present
  • All cell values under the 'Incoming Action Priority' header (column G) can only be one of the following values: high, low and must also be case sensitive, except when the cell value in column B of the same row is 'InvalidButtonType', in which case there should be no value present
  • All cell values under the 'Incoming Action Float' header (column H) can only be one of the following values: Float, NoFloat and must also be case sensitive, except when the cell value in column B of the same row is 'InvalidButtonType', in which case there should be no value present
  • All cell values under the 'Display Incoming CLI' header (column I) can only be one of the following values: CLI, noCLI and must also be case sensitive, except when the cell value in column B of the same row is 'InvalidButtonType', in which case there should be no value present
Once the code is executed it should produce and X under the 'Error' header (column J) if any of the above listed rules are not met within that row. It would also be ideal if the code highlighted the cell where the rule was not met to be able to easily locate the cell and rectify issue. If no errors exist then the result would be a Pop-Up Notification of "Validation Successful"

I know much of this can be done via Conditional Formatting but because I receive many spreadsheets from different sources then being able to run a macro would be much more convenient.
The following is an example of how this would result:

Book2
ABCDEFGHIJ
1Button NumberButton TypeButton LabelButton LockSpeedDialTypeIncoming Action RingsIncoming Action PriorityIncoming Action FloatDisplay Incoming CLIError
21MWITest1falsenonerepeathighFloatnoCLI
32ResourceAndSpeedDialTest2falsenonenonehighFloatnoCLI
43ResourceTest3falsenonerepeathighNoFloatnoCLI
54HuntAndSpeedDialTest4falsehomesinglehighNoFloatnoCLI
65ResourceTest5truemobilesinglehighNoFloatnoCLI
76InvalidButtonTypeTest6falseX
87ResourceTest7falsenonerepeatlowNoFloatnoCLI
98ICMTest8falsenonerepeatlowNoFloatCLI
109ResourceTest9falseofficerepeatlowNoFloatCLI
1110ResourceTest10FALSEofficerepeatlowFloatCLIX
1211ResourceTest11falsenonerepeatlowFloatCLI
1312ResourceTest12falsenonerepeatlowFloatCLI
1413ResourceTest13falsenonerepeatlowfloatCLIX
1514ResourceTest14falsenonerepeatlowNoFloatCLI
1615ResourceTest15falsenonerepeatlowNoFloatCLI
1716ResourceTest16falsenonerepeatlowNoFloatCLI
1817ResourceTest17falsenonerepeatlowNoFloatCLI
Sheet1
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
D2:D10Listtrue,false
D12:D18Listtrue,false
I2:I18ListnoCLI,CLI
H2:H13ListFloat,NoFloat
H15:H18ListFloat,NoFloat
E2:E18Listnone,home,office,mobile
F2:F18Listnone,single,repeat
G2:G18Listlow,high
A2:A18List,null,null,null,null
B1:B18ListInvalidButtonType,Resource,ResourceAndSpeedDial,HuntAndSpeedDial,Speedial,ICM

Last edited:
So all 3 validation rules in the code seem to be working as requested in my original post except for the 3rd one:
VBA Code:
If Cells(Row, 2) = "InvalidButtonType" And Cells(Row, 3) <> "" Then

While it does correctly highlight the cell in column C if there are any characters present when column B is "InvalidButtonType", I left out that it should also highlight the cells in columns E - I if there are any characters present. Only column D is allowed to have characters without producing an error. Can that part be adjusted?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
they can be made to perform any logic step you like. have you tried doing the one for col D

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
        ' third column
        For Col = 3 To 8
            If Cells(Row, 2) = "InvalidButtonType" And Cells(Row, Col) <> "" And Col <> 4 Then
                Cells(Row, Col).Interior.ColorIndex = 46
                Cells(Row, 10) = "X"
            End If
        Next Col

Upvote 0
That did the trick, thanks for the help. I'm going to keep building on this code and if I encounter any roadblocks I may re-post but appreciate all the help (y)

Upvote 0
thx for feedback. thats fine if you need to follow up something :)

Upvote 0
So I tried to add some adjustments to the code and nothing happens when I ty to run it. Any advice as to what may be wrong with it?
VBA Code:
Sub BtnValidate()
    lastrow = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
    For Row = 2 To lastrow
        ' Action column
        If Val(Cells(Row, 1)) <> "Update" Or Val(Cells(Row, 1)) <> "Ignore" Then
            Cells(Row, 1).Interior.ColorIndex = 46
            Cells(Row, 35) = "X"
        End If
        ' Button Number column
        If Val(Cells(Row, 6)) < 1 Or Val(Cells(Row, 6)) > 600 Then
            Cells(Row, 6).Interior.ColorIndex = 46
            Cells(Row, 35) = "X"
        End If
        ' Button Type column
        If Cells(Row, 7) <> "Speedial" And Cells(Row, 7) <> "ResourceAndSpeedDial" And Cells(Row, 7) <> "Resource" _
                    And Cells(Row, 7) <> "HuntAndSpeedDial" And Cells(Row, 7) <> "ICM" And Cells(Row, 7) <> "InvalidButtonType" _
                    And Cells(Row, 7) <> "MWI" And Cells(Row, 7) <> "OneButtonDivert" And Cells(Row, 7) <> "OneButtonICMDivert" _
                    And Cells(Row, 7) <> "KeySequence" And Cells(Row, 7) <> "PointOfContact" And Cells(Row, 7) <> "PersonalPointOfContact" _
                    And Cells(Row, 7) <> "SimplexConference" And Cells(Row, 7) <> "DuplexConference" Then
            Cells(Row, 7).Interior.ColorIndex = 46
            Cells(Row, 35) = "X"
        End If
        ' Button Type column
        For Col = 3 To 8
            If Cells(Row, 7) = "InvalidButtonType" And Cells(Row, Col) <> "" And Col <> 10 Then
                Cells(Row, Col).Interior.ColorIndex = 46
                Cells(Row, 35) = "X"
            End If

Next Col
    Next Row
End Sub

Upvote 0
ok so there are a couple of things to note from my original code...
if the cell you are looking at has a number in it, then i used
Val(Cells(row,1)) <> 0 ----> this checks that the value of the cell (if it is a number, but even if it looks like a number) is not 0
if a cell should have a string in it, then i dont use Val( ) because the numeric value of "Update" does not make much sense.
in your new code above i can see
' Action column
If Val(Cells(Row, 1)) <> "Update" Or Val(Cells(Row, 1)) <> "Ignore" Then

do you see the problem here? you are getting the value of a word. it should be
If Cells(Row, 1) <> "Update" Or Cells(Row, 1) <> "Ignore" Then

but then there is the logic to consider. this can do your head in a bit LOL
the AND operator means one condition and also the other condition must both be true for the operation to return true
the OR operator means one or the other or both are true for the operation to return true.
so in this case above:
you if it is not "update" AND also it is not "ignore" then it is wrong... do you see the logic?

Final correction for this line:
VBA Code:
        If Cells(Row, 1) <> "Update" And Cells(Row, 1) <> "Ignore" Then

there may be others to check, come back after you have a play :) (or your head is done in ROFL)

Upvote 0
Appreciate the clarification. So the adjusted line code as shown:
VBA Code:
If Cells(Row, 1) <> "Update" And Cells(Row, 1) <> "Ignore" Then
is sort of working but not as expected. What's happening is that the cell is highlighting only when there are actual characters (letters or #'s) within the cell other than "update" and "Ignore". I was also expecting that the cell be highlighted if it is blank. Any guidance on how to make that happen?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back