Need code modifying to search date in custom format

Ironman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I was kindly given the below code a couple of months ago in this thread, that searches for a date I input when I double click a cell in Col A I and it works perfectly.
VBA Code:
Sub FindDate()

Dim myInput   As Variant
    Dim CellFound As Variant
    Dim ws        As Worksheet

Select Case ActiveSheet.Name

Case "Training Log", "Training 1981-1997", "Indoor Bike"
Retry:
            myInput = Application.InputBox("Enter Date:", "Locate Log Entry Date", Type:=2)
            If myInput = "" Or myInput = "False" Then
                'MsgBox "Search cancelled!", vbInformation, "Locate Log Entry Date"
                Exit Sub
            ElseIf Not IsDate(myInput) Then
                MsgBox "Only enter a valid date format.", vbExclamation, "Invalid Date Entry"
                GoTo Retry
            End If

Case "Training Log", "Training 1981-1997"

For Each ws In Sheets(Array("Training Log", "Training 1981-1997"))
                        CellFound = Application.Match(CLng(CDate(myInput)), ws.Range("A:A"), 0)
                        If Not IsError(CellFound) Then Exit For
                    Next ws

Case "Indoor Bike"
                    Set ws = ActiveSheet

End Select

If Not IsError(CellFound) Then
                Application.GoTo ws.Range("A" & CellFound)
            Else
                MsgBox "Sorry, no entry found for " & myInput, vbInformation, "No Match Found"
            End If

Case Else
            MsgBox "The Locate Entry Date function will only run on:" & _
                   vbLf & "    Training Log" & _
                   vbLf & "    Training 1981-1997" & _
                   vbLf & "    Indoor Bike", _
                   vbInformation, "Invalid Sheet"

End Select

End Sub
However, I have had to change the date format of sheet 'Training 1981-1997' to the (custom number) format d/m/yy dddd and unsurprisingly, the search won't work for that sheet with the original code.

I'd be very grateful, if it's possible, for an amendment to the above code that will allow the search function to continue working in this sheet.

Many thanks!

Hi Dave, many thanks for replying.

I ran your code and did the search and it unfortunately still returned "Sorry, no entry found for " & myInput, vbInformation, "No Match Found"

Curious - just downloaded your file & run it & all worked ok.

When you click on a date do you just see the date in the formula bar e.g (26/04/1985)?

Dave

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hi Dave

For input date of 26/4/85 it shows 26/4/85 and FRIDAY (below) in the formula bar (and returns "no entry found")

Upvote 0
P.S.

To clarify, the reason it worked for you is because the sheet you downloaded contained the date and day in upper case on the same line. Your code indeed works perfectly for that - many thanks for that.

The version that won't find the date, which I'm using right now, has the day in upper case on the next line (same row).

Is there any way you can amend the code so it will recognise this format as well please, either in lower or upper case on the next line?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
P.P.S. Correction - "To clarify, the reason it worked for you is because the sheet you downloaded contained the date and day in lower case on the same line.

Upvote 0
Many thanks for your perseverance Joe! I think the expression is "ball-ache" :biggrin: though, as there are 6,210 rows to re-enter dates manually, hence the need for code.

To avoid any more hassle I'm going to put the day (dddd) on the next line ('carriage return') in lower case. Would it be possible for you to look at the below code, which puts the "dddd" onto the next line (i.e. not a new row). I was kindly given the below code earlier that worked when the dddd was in upper case, but when I tried it again just now, it returns "Error 9, subscript out of range" and I don't know why, as nothing else has changed.
Don't think that will work. You can't add text to the date w/o the cell becoming text. You could do something like this (I'm using US region date style):
Book1.xlsm
AB
14/22/85 MONDAY4/22/85 Monday
24/23/85 TUESDAY4/23/85 Tuesday
34/24/85 WEDNESDAY4/24/85 Wednesday
44/25/85 THURSDAY4/25/85 Thursday
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B1:B4B1=LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)+0

format col B as (reverse month/day for your region): m/d/yy dddd. Drag the formula down to cover all of col A data then copy/pastespecial values in col B and finally delete col A so col B becomes col A. Note that when you click on a cell you see only the date (a number) in the formula bar, not the day which appears in the cell. For example A1 would be 4/22/85 Monday in the cell, but only 4/22/1985 in the formula bar. The day shows up in the cell b/c of the formatting you have chosen, but not in the formula bar b/c its not part of the serial number that represents the date.

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot Joe.

The day shows up in the cell b/c of the formatting you have chosen, but not in the formula bar b/c its not part of the serial number that represents the date.

Ahh, thanks for explaining that.

You might be wondering why I really want the date on a second line, well it's to replicate the format of a paper diary of archive entries that I'm digitising. I'm concluding from everything that's been said that it's not possible to search using the input box where the cell becomes text i.e. with the day on a second line, so I will need to use the Find and Replace box instead.

Many thanks for all your time and thought Joe and others.

Upvote 0
P.S. I have now amended the code in my original post to exclude sheet 'Training 1981-1997' in the below.
VBA Code:
Sub FindDate()

Dim myInput   As Variant
    Dim CellFound As Variant
    Dim ws        As Worksheet

Case "Training Log", "Indoor Bike"
Retry:
            myInput = Application.InputBox("Enter Date:", "Locate Log Entry Date", Type:=2)
            If myInput = "" Or myInput = "False" Then
                'MsgBox "Search cancelled!", vbInformation, "Locate Log Entry Date"
                Exit Sub
            ElseIf Not IsDate(myInput) Then
                MsgBox "Only enter a valid date format.", vbExclamation, "Invalid Date Entry"
                GoTo Retry
            End If

Case "Training Log"

For Each ws In Sheets(Array("Training Log")) ',
                        If Not IsError(CellFound) Then Exit For
                    Next ws

Case "Indoor Bike"
                    Set ws = ActiveSheet

End Select

If Not IsError(CellFound) Then
                Application.GoTo ws.Range("A" & CellFound)
            Else
                MsgBox "Sorry, no entry found for " & myInput, vbInformation, "No Match Found"
            End If

Case Else
            MsgBox "The Locate Entry Date function will only run in" & vbNewLine & _
                   "Training Log and Indoor Bike sheets", vbInformation, "Invalid Sheet"

End Select

End Sub

Would it be possible for you to amend this so if a date < Jan 1 1998 is entered in sheet 'Training Log', I get a message box
VBA Code:
Date contained in Training 1981-1997 sheet.
Please search that sheet
I OK the message box and sheet 'Training 1981-1997' is then the active sheet and the Find and Replace box opens.

Many thanks again!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
P.S.

To clarify, the reason it worked for you is because the sheet you downloaded contained the date and day in upper case on the same line. Your code indeed works perfectly for that - many thanks for that.

The version that won't find the date, which I'm using right now, has the day in upper case on the next line (same row).

The suggestion based on information provided, resolves the problem you posted but that is not how your data is actually configured?
when seeking assistance from forum it is helpful if OPs provide actual information about their data.

I cannot think of an immediate solution but helpful to forum if you post sheet with actual sample data using xl2BB or link to updated download & maybe others here can assist.

Dave

Upvote 0
Noted Dave, thanks and my apologies for causing the confusion.

I've still been unsuccessful trying to configure the 'Training Log' sheet code in Post #27 where if the date entered in that sheet is before 01/01/98 then I get a message box

Date contained in Training 1981-1997 sheet.
Please search that sheet

When I OK the message box then Sheet 'Training 1981-1997' is activated and the Find and Replace box then opens.

Hope you can help?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back