Need easier way to extract department data from raw data

tsunami1977

Board Regular
I currently download from a database the raw data for 25 departments.
Unfortunately the database is very limited and will dump the 25 departments in one worksheet but does have a line to divide the departments (not all lines are the same and sometimes the department numbers are missing).

Now I do copy each department's data from the raw and paste it into its own worksheet. I do this for all 25 departments and then format them.

Pivot table will not work because each department's label is not consistent.

What I currently do is too time consuming. I am hoping there is an easier way to extract individual department data more easily.

Anyone has suggestions?

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
will dump the 25 departments in one worksheet but does have a line to divide the departments (not all lines are the same and sometimes the department numbers are missing).

So what can we use to discern where one department ends, and another begins. Is the line between the departments the same, and what type of line are you talking about. Could you post an example of the transition from one department to another?

Upvote 0
Can you post an example?

Find the link to Colo's HTML Maker at the bottom of the page. It will allow you to do that.

Smitty

Upvote 0
Sorry, I can't get the HTML Maker installed. I need to read the FAQ to figure it out. Below is a rough copy of how the department divider looks. It's actually not a divider more of a page break, so departments with a lot of data have more than one of these lines. In this, you can see Department 605 being shown.

al Expenses 433 0 (433) 433 0 (433) 468,567 0 (468,567)
============== ============== ============== ============== ============== ============== ============== ============== ==============

By US Training Dept/Training/ 605
Current Month Current Month Variance Current Quarte Current Quarte Current Quarte YTD YTD Variance
Actual Budget $ Actual Budget Variance Actual Budget $
2004 - 12 2004 -12 2004-4 2004-4 2004-4
============== ============== ============== ============== ============== ============== ============== ============== ==============
Expenses:

ayroll Expenses
Salaries 10,160 25,555 15,395 35,773 79,099 43,326 139,191 316,396 177,205

Upvote 0
Here is the COLO screen shot.
Mr.Excel.xls
BCDEFGHIJK
171alExpenses4330(433)4330(433)468,5670(468,567)
172==============================================================================================================================
174ByUSTrainingDept/Training/605
175CurrentMonthCurrentMonthVarianceCurrentQuarteCurrentQuarteCurrentQuarteYTDYTDVariance
176ActualBudget$ActualBudgetVarianceActualBudget$
1772004-122004-122004-42004-42004-4
178==============================================================================================================================
179Expenses:
181ayrollExpenses
Training Dept. 1.25

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DumbFinanceBro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back