Need excel formula to randomaly distribute.

pedie

Hi, I need help excel formula to randomaly distribute/rather divide the total of 29 to 7 users.
something like the below table...

Thanks.

Randbetween 3 to 7 but the answer sum total should be 29.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 64pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=86><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 26pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1280" width=35><COL style="WIDTH: 38pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 1865" width=51><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 26pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 height=17 width=35>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 38pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 width=51>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 height=17>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64>
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 height=17>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64>
Total
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
If a UDF will work,

Code:
'========================= S t r i n g  C u t t i n g ========================
' These routines generate random numbers totalling a desired sum with the
' (correct) Beta distribution

Function RandLen(dTot As Double, _
                 Optional dMin As Double = 0, _
                 Optional ByVal iSig As Long = 0, _
                 Optional bVolatile As Boolean = False) As Variant
    ' shg 2011
    ' UDF wrapper for aiRandLen

If bVolatile Then Application.Volatile

With Application.Caller
        If .Rows.Count > 1 And .Columns.Count > 1 Then
            RandLen = CVErr(xlErrRef)

ElseIf .Columns.Count > 1 Then
            RandLen = aiRandLen(dTot, .Columns.Count, dMin, iSig)

Else
            RandLen = WorksheetFunction.Transpose(aiRandLen(dTot, .Rows.Count, dMin, iSig))
        End If
    End With
End Function

Function aiRandLen(ByVal dTot As Double, _
                   nNum As Long, _
                   Optional ByVal dMin As Double = 0, _
                   Optional ByVal iSig As Long = 307) As Double()
    ' shg 2011
    ' Applies string-cutting to return an array of nNum
    ' numbers totalling dTot, with each in the range
    '           dMin <= number <= dTot - nNum * dMin

' Each number is rounded to iSig places

Dim i           As Long
    Dim j           As Long
    Dim dRnd        As Double
    Dim dSig        As Double
    Dim col         As Collection
    Dim adOut()     As Double

If nNum < 1 Or dTot < nNum * dMin Then Exit Function
    ReDim adOut(1 To nNum)
    dSig = 10 ^ -iSig

With New Collection
        dTot = WorksheetFunction.Round(dTot, iSig)
        dMin = WorksheetFunction.Round(dMin, iSig)
        .Add Item:=0
        .Add Item:=dTot - nNum * dMin
        ' create the cuts
        For i = 1 To nNum - 1
            dRnd = Int(Rnd * ((dTot - nNum * dMin) / dSig)) * dSig

' insertion-sort the cut
            For j = .Count To 1 Step -1
                If .Item(j) <= dRnd Then
                    .Add Item:=dRnd, After:=j
                    Exit For
                End If
            Next j
        Next i

' measure the lengths
        For i = 1 To nNum
            adOut(i) = .Item(i + 1) - .Item(i) + dMin
        Next i
    End With
    aiRandLen = adOut
End Function

Then for you example, select B1:B7 and array-enter

=RandLen(29, 3)

Upvote 0
Brian, Shg,....thanks guys...works perfect.:) Thanks for the idea...that was a good one...

And thanks for the Vid. link too.

Regards
Pedie

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back