NEED FORMULA TO LOOK TO THE RIGHT AND THEN 1 ROW ABOVE

JuicyMusic

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello experts, I hope that what I'm writing will be clear. Let me know if you need more information.
Here is the formula that I started writing.
Excel Formula:
=IF(AND(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("*JOB#*",A17)),ISNUMBER(SEARCH("*JOB#*",B17))),B17,
A17)

HERE IS WHAT I NEED THE FORMULA TO DO:
FORMULA LOGIC:
If the text string in column B contains the word JOB#, then return the whole string to the same row in column A, if not then return the whole text string from 1 row above (as long as the text string includes the text JOB#).

The formula I need should been in column A. Below is 4 jobs but this whole spreadsheet will have about 50 jobs. Each job has the same number of rows for the type of data. Thank you so much!

Excel Formula:
[ATTACH type="full"]29197[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 1609950023890.png
    1609950023890.png
    147.8 KB · Views: 9
This worked perfectly except for one thing. It doesn't give back a correct result from row 2 thru 7. This is because the first instance of a text matches a text that is in the "ListRnge" occurs at row 8 on my spreadsheet.

HERE IS THE FORMULA THAT I PUT IN COLUMN B:
Excel Formula:
=IF(MAX(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(ListRng,D2))),D2,B1)

I've attached my spreadsheet so you see how the formula is returning the NAME of the column at the first 7 rows.
1610050144346.png

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Please do not put images inside tags.
It doesn't give back a correct result from row 2 thru 7
Yes it does, because that is what you originally wanted & you didn't say it had changed. ;)
Just delete the formula from B2

Upvote 0
Thank you for your patience. I deleted B2 and itt does work. I appreciate you responding back all these time. SOLVED! Again.
Merci,
Juicy

Upvote 0
Glad to help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
Hello Fluff, I am back again this morning because I just noticed something that is not working exactly as I need. Both formula's are so nice and I will be using them on different spreadsheets for sure.

The MAX formula that you provided me yesterday is doing almost everything I need. It looks like it needs to be tweaked just little bit.

Let me explain?

The INDEX / XMATCH formula is in column A and it is working perfectly all the way down the spreadsheet, no matter how many rows each job section has.?
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(C$2:C2,XMATCH("Job#*",C$2:C2,2,-1))

The MAX / ISNUMBER(SEARCH) formula is in column B and seems to be bringing back the correct result sometimes:
Excel Formula:
=IF(MAX(--ISNUMBER(SEARCH(ListRng,D2))),D2,B1)

Here is the logic that I need in column B. Starting at row 2. I will try my best to write it so clearly for you.

LOGIC: I need the formula in B2 to look in column E - and look for the 1st occurrence of a text - that matches any of the texts - listed in the range named "ListRng".
If it finds a matching text - (such as "Non Union") in column E, then return that text (ex: Non Union) to B2 and to the rows below until it encounters a job number change in column A.

When it encounters a job number change in column A, then look in column E again - and look for the next occurrence of a text - that matches any of the texts - listed in the range named "ListRng". And so on...….

If you don't mind, I'm attaching the spreadsheet again for you.
Column A: The INDEX/MATCH formula is perfect!.
Column B: The MAX/ISNUMBER formula almost perfect.
Column C: I manually inputted the results that I should see in column C for more clarity.

I am so excited to see what you come back with. I tried to combine these two formulas together. Sometimes it almost worked above but not below. But I'm still trying while I wait for your response.
I can't wait!!!? Thank you. I hope you're in today?

Excel Formula:
[ATTACH type="full"]29378[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 1610137234798.png
    1610137234798.png
    205.6 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0
This is now a totally different question, so you will need to start a new thread. Thanks

Also please do not put your images inside tags.

Upvote 0
Hi Fluff, I'll start a new thread.
I copied and pasted my spreadsheet inside the tags. I thought this was the way to do it. Thanks! Have a nice weekend!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back