Need formula to return a value if in cell matches a cell in a range from another range or if not return 12

jb00976

I need a formula that will look at cell F6 which contains a name (format "Joe Smith") and compare that to a range C31:C53 which contains names, if the name matches I need it to return from the corresponding range K31:K53 (which contains number from 0 to 12 and includes figures with decimals), if it doesn't match I need the formula to return 12.

I tried:

=IF(F6=C31:D53,K31:L53,12)

but, it doesn't work and I am not sure why. I thought about using lookup which would work if the name matched something in the list but, wont if the name doesn't

Thanks in advance for any help

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Try:
=IFERROR(INDEX(K31:K53,MATCH(F6,C31:C53,0)),"12")

Upvote 0
The formula you posted refer to ranges which are different from the ones in your description:

Either...

Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=IF(COUNTIFS(C1:D53,"?*"),MAX(IF(MMULT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(F6,C31:D53))+0,TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(C31:D53)^0)),IF(ISNUMBER(K31:L53),K31:L53,""),"")),12)

Does this work for you?

Or...

=IFERROR(INDEX(K31:K53,MATCH(F6,C31:C53,0)),"")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately none of these formulas are working

the =IFERROR(INDEX(K31:K53,MATCH(F6,C31:C53,0)),"12") formula returns 12 every time

{=IF(COUNTIFS(C1:D53,"?*"),MAX(IF(MMULT(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(F6,C31:D53))+0,TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(C31:D53)^0)),IF(ISNUMBER(K31:L53),K31:L53,""),"")),12)} - returns 0 and says circular reference I noticed the first range had C1:D53 so I changed that to C31:D53 and then it returns 0 if the name in F6 isn't in the list in C31:C53 and returns correctly if it is in the list

Upvote 0
I tried the formula on some dummy data and it worked properly. Click here for the sample file. The formula in in cell A1.

Upvote 0
it works if the name is in the list but, when it isn't in the list it should return 12 and it returns 0

Upvote 0
Try this:

<b>Sheet</b><br /><br /><table border="1" cellspacing="0" style="font-family:Calibri,Arial; font-size:11pt; background-color:#ffffff; "> <colgroup><col style="font-weight:bold; width:30px; " /><col style="width:80px;" /><col style="width:80px;" /><col style="width:80px;" /><col style="width:80px;" /><col style="width:80px;" /></colgroup><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; font-weight:bold; font-size:8pt; "><td > </td><td >C</td><td >F</td><td >G</td><td >H</td><td >K</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >1</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >5</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >6</td><td > </td><td style="background-color:#ffff00; ">Joe Smith</td><td style="background-color:#ffff00; text-align:right; ">3</td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >7</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >30</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >31</td><td >Joe Smith</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">3</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >32</td><td >Sue Pec</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">4</td></tr><tr style="height:18px ;" ><td style="font-size:8pt; background-color:#cacaca; text-align:center; " >33</td><td >George Luc</td><td > </td><td > </td><td > </td><td style="text-align:right; ">5</td></tr></table><br /><table style="font-family:Arial; font-size:10pt; border-style: groove ;border-color:#00ff00;background-color:#fffcf9; color:#000000; "><tr><td ><b>Formula</b></td></tr><tr><td ><table border = "1" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" style="font-family:Arial; font-size:9pt;"><tr style="background-color:#cacaca; font-size:10pt;"><td >Cell</td><td >Formula</td></tr><tr><td >G6</td><td >=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(F6,C31:K53,9,0),12)</td></tr></table></td></tr></table> <br /><br />

Upvote 0
In the sample file I posted, I entered the letter "y" which is not in the range C31:C53 and it returned "12" in cell A1 as you requested. I don't understand why it returns zero for you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back