Need guidance with SUM IF by month

TerrSan

Hi,

I have a sheet that records transactions on a daily basis and another that gives a summary. I need a formula that sums values in a column in the transaction sheet based on the month it was recorded. The month needed is from another cell. I did a google search but none of the formulas other people have used is working for me. I have tried:

=SUM(IF(MONTH(Table5[Date])=Reports!C22,Table5[Income],0)) but i get #VALUE! error. i have tried sumif and sumproduct but i always get 0 or the same error.

the dates are in the "Date" column of table 5; the values i need to sum are in the "Income" column of Table 5; and the month i need to filter is in cell C22. What am i doing wrong and what is the solution?

Regards

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Yes, in C22 the user selects a number from 1 to 12 from a drop down list. the cell is formatted as general.

Upvote 0
What about :
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(Table5[Date])=Reports!C22),Table5[Income])

HTH

Upvote 0
thank you James that works!

does that have anything to do with ctrl-shift-enter? i'll have to read up about what that does...

if i wanted to add more arguments, for example, filter by month AND model no. how would that look?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
thank you James that works!

does that have anything to do with ctrl-shift-enter? i'll have to read up about what that does...

if i wanted to add more arguments, for example, filter by month AND model no. how would that look?

Why is Sumproduct() truly nice :

1. You can add as many conditions as you wish ...
2. You do not have to worry about ctrl-shift-enter ...

Say the model is located in cell C23 :

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(MONTH(Table5[Date])=Reports!C22)*[FONT=Verdana]--(Table5[Model]=Reports!C23)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana],Table5[Income])[/FONT]</pre>

HTH

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back