Need Help adding formula to pivot table

rdkapp

Help! I need information to calculate the average time spent by person on a task. To do so, I need a sum of the time spent by that individual / count of items they were assigned. I did the calculation to the right of the table manually, but if I refresh the data, the formulas don't follow and require manual copying etc. Is there a way to add a formula which takes the sum/count directly in the pivot table calculation?? See partial table below (I took a marker to delete the person and specific task information for privacy and security reasons):

Pivot Table Query.PNG

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
it'll take longer to find the answer, but in the long run, worthwhile - investigate PowerPivot and the use of 'measures'. Its exactly what you need, but I can't give an easy answer :)

Upvote 0
Hi. Not sure why you need the "Count of Time Spent on Mark Up Production." Can't you just click on "Time spent on Mark Up Production" (which must be in the Values field), then click Value Field Settings, change "Summarize value field by" to Average, and click OK?

Upvote 0
Solution
Hi. Not sure why you need the "Count of Time Spent on Mark Up Production." Can't you just click on "Time spent on Mark Up Production" (which must be in the Values field), then click Value Field Settings, change "Summarize value field by" to Average, and click OK?

Awesome Ron! Thanks so much. So simple and such an easy fix. I actually kept the "Count of Time Spent on Mark Up Production" as we need the count numbers. Then, I added an additional column and changed the Value Field Settings to Average and voila!

This just shows that I am far from an expert on Pivot Tables.

it'll take longer to find the answer, but in the long run, worthwhile - investigate PowerPivot and the use of 'measures'. Its exactly what you need, but I can't give an easy answer :)

Thanks pjmorris. I'm just learning about Pivot Tables. If I find myself using them often, I'm sure I will investigate PowerPivot. Thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0
Delighted Ron has fixed the problem, its a solution that works well provided the average is for 'Markup for Production' by the individual concerned. If you wanted to compare their time with 'Markup for Production' of all components (not sure that makes real world sense, but...) then a standard Pivot Table can't do that (I don't think). Power Pivot lets you create measures in which that calculation would be entirely possible. Its definitely worth learning - and actually PowerPivot creates pivottables that are almost identical to the standard, but they're cleverer.

The trick is to ensure you've ticked the 'Add this to the Data Model' when creating your pivot table (there are other ways, but this is simplest).

1610274790757.png

The book I use is: 'Power Pivot and Power BI' by Rob Collie and Avichal Singh, which is readily available. Its an easy read and well worth the effort - you'll become an Excel God in your organisation :).

All the best.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back