Need help cleaning up a formula

EssKayKay

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a formula in a worksheet provided by others. I’d like assistance to clean it up. I no longer need to include reference to a couple options – “Acc Weekly” and “Acc Bi-Weekly”. I like to remove reference to both of these in the following formula.

IF(F8>0,(IF($F$12="Acc Bi-Weekly",ROUND((-PMT((((1+Amortize!F7/CP)^(CP/12))-1),term*12,loan_amount))/2,2),IF($F$12="Acc Weekly",ROUND((-PMT((((1+Amortize!F7/CP)^(CP/12))-1),term*12,loan_amount))/4,2),ROUND(-PMT(((1+F7/CP)^(CP/periods_per_year))-1,nper,loan_amount),2)))),0)

Thanks,
SKK

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I think you want:

IF(F8>0, ROUND(PMT((1+F7/CP)^(CP/periods_per_year)-1, nper, -loan_amount), 2), 0)

But I'm not sure that is mathematically correct. I suggest that you provide a numerical example, if you would like another set of eyes to vet the calculation.

Provide values for CP, periods_per_year, nper, loan_amount, F7 and F8, and describe their purpose. For example, obviously nper is "number of payments" (periods). What is CP, and how do they differ?

If any are calculated, be sure to provide referenced values.

Also, identify your region and whether the loan is for a mortgage or something else. Are you sure that the annual rate (F7) is expressed as a compounded rate?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think you want:

IF(F8>0, ROUND(PMT((1+F7/CP)^(CP/periods_per_year)-1, nper, -loan_amount), 2), 0)

But I'm not sure that is mathematically correct. I suggest that you provide a numerical example, if you would like another set of eyes to vet the calculation.

Provide values for CP, periods_per_year, nper, loan_amount, F7 and F8, and describe their purpose. For example, obviously nper is "number of payments" (periods). What is CP, and how do they differ?

If any are calculated, be sure to provide referenced values.

Also, identify your region and whether the loan is for a mortgage or something else. Are you sure that the annual rate (F7) is expressed as a compounded rate?

Hey Joeu,

This appears to be doing exactly what I had in mind. You truly are a gentleman and a scholar.

Thank you very much,
Steve K.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harryls

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back