Need help concatenating with a specific spacing format

Jeffrey Green

let me try to get this right . . . lol I prefer this in a macro, but a formula is fine . .thanks
i have 4 columns; A, B C and D.

All four are usually populated, with A having the highest probability of not being populated (A, B and C are prefix, base, suffix of a part number)

I need to put all four of these columns into 1 column, let's call it E.

1. I need the Column A portion of the output to be 10 characters wide, regardless of the number of characters actually in the cell, with spaces inserted to LEFT of any characters. If A is empty, i need 10 spaces. If the is an G in column A, i need 9 spaces and the G, etc.

2. I also need the same formatting for Column B. with any needed spaces added to the left of any characters in column B.

3. Now I need Column C to 10 characters in length, but this time with any needed spaces to the RIGHT of any characters actually in Column C.

4. Now the rub . . . I need the "right justified" 10 characters from column B combined with the "left justified" 10 characters from Column C.
Thus combining B and C into 1 string with any needed spaces on the "outside" of the string.

5. Then Column D needs to be 8 spaces, with any extra spaces added to the LEFT of any characters actually in column D.

Before:

5C2Z FHFYF24 AB 99999999

After:
5C2Z FHFYF24AB 999999999
6 spaces first 3 spaces first, then 8 spaces after AB then 8 nines

So i need 4 Columns, A,B,C and D, concatenated into one Cell, E, with three sections within Column E.

God, i hope that makes sense . . . . I hate my client..

Thanks

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Try this formula:

=REPT(" ",10-LEN(A1))&A1&REPT(" ",10-LEN(B1))&B1&C1&REPT(" ",10-LEN(C1))&REPT(" ",8-LEN(D1))&D1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VanGirl

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back