Need help creating a desk booking system

MG123

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All!

I am trying to create a desk booking system in excel. Unfortunately, my office does not have the budget/allow for us to have specific software.
I have 12 desks at the moment. I have created a Calendar tab and a requests tab.

My idea is to have employees only enter data in the requests tab and for this data to feed through to the Calendar tab using formulas. I would lock the Calendar tab so it cannot be altered by employees.

Issue 1:

I have tried using IF, AND, Vlookups and I can't seem to get what I need (you can see some formulas in cells G4-I4 in the calendar tab).

I created this formula below, what I think it is saying is IF the desk number AND start date AND start time slot in the requests tab match the calender then the output should be Employee (column B requests) and if it doesn't match the output should be Available (G1 calendar). This works when I put it in cell I4 (calender) but when I drag it down and across it doesn't work. I also wasn't sure how to include the end date and end time slot in the formula. I also want to be able to potentially expand the time slots to hourly slots but I am not sure how complicated the formula will be.

=IF(AND(VLOOKUP($I$3, Requests!$A:$A, 1, 0), VLOOKUP(Calendar!$E4, Requests!$C:$C,1,0), VLOOKUP(Calendar!$F4, Requests!$D:$D, 1,0)), Requests!$B3,Calendar!$G$1)

Issue 2 - In the calendar tab columns B & C I want to be able to have a snapshot of which desks are booked or available based on a date selected from a drop down. I don't know where to begin with attempting this,

Issue 3 - In the requests tab, as some employees may try to book a desk that is already booked, I want some formula or conditional formatting which will highlight the row in red if a desk is double booked based on the same desk number, start date, start time slot, end date and end time slot. Would a concatenate work here?

As you can see I have very basic skills, I can visualize what I need but lack the knowledge of formulas to execute. Any insights/help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Desk booking.xlsx
Thank you!
smile.gif

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Hi
welcome to forum
Seem to recall a member here posted a solution for an OP some time back but cannot find the link.
What you are trying to do in excel can prove to be a lot of work but if want to pursue it suggest that you search what is already out there & see if can use as a base to build your project.

Here is one you can download for free : When a Hot Desk Booking Template in Excel Is the Way to Go
Its not a recommendation just an example of what can be found that might help you.

Hope Helpful

Dave

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back