Need Help Creating a Formula

lemery

I have a project where I want to be alerted in their are duplicates in a specific Row. For example, I have a row of data, say column A, I would like to note in column B if there is another cell in Row A that has the same. I need a formula to find this out. Something similar to:
Cell B2 equals true if A2 = another cell in Row A. Help is greatly appreciated!!

Row A Row B
123 True
234 False
123 True
456 False
567 False
678 False
123 True
456 True

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Try this:

Code:
=IF(COUNTIF($A$2:$A$10,$A2)>1,"True","False")

Just update the $A$2:$A$10 to be the range you need.

Upvote 0
I see the True, False, which I know I need. When compared to the other two,
one has A:A,A2 - the whole column
one has $A2:$A9,A2 - specific range in column similar to yours but you have an additional $ the other two don't. $A2:$A!),$A2 I underlined it.
I understand the selection of data, but I'm not sure what they second A2 refers to and whether of not it needs a $.

Upvote 0
The $ just locks the proceeding value so it doesn't change if you change the formula. So for mine the $A2 locks the "A" portion so if you copy that formula down or to another cell it will always reference "A" but the "2" portion is free to update if you want it too.

Did my formula, or any of the one's suggested on here work for you?

Upvote 0
the formula is counting the values as you copy it down, because its a logical test, whether the value is greater than 1, it will return true or false.

in this case the IF isn't necessary. unless you wanted to return something other than true or false

Upvote 0
The $ just locks the proceeding value so it doesn't change if you change the formula. So for mine the $A2 locks the "A" portion so if you copy that formula down or to another cell it will always reference "A" but the "2" portion is free to update if you want it too.

Did my formula, or any of the one's suggested on here work for you?

Yes, thank you!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back