Need help dependent list box and maybe a lookup formula

clhmms

Hello gracious gurus,

I need assistance with dependent list boxes. I have reviewed about 7+ videos and cannot find my answer.

I need a formula that will show a List Box based on formula. For example, if I select model "CT4-3/8" then, I want to have the "LB_TB_Fifteen_In " List Box choices available from cell B6. Or, if I select model "CT5-3/8 then, I will get the "LB_TB_TwentyTwo_In" List Box when I am in cell B6.

I have tried several approaches but I think the problem is that I am not able to logically wrap my brain around the formula. I have tried a dependent list box alone and that didn't work. I am assuming i need to toss in a lookup formula but I am confused!!

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cassandra :eek::confused:

PS - Most recently, I tried Excel Data Validation -- Create Dependent Lists With INDEX
"http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal15.html" and Excel Magic Trick 550: Data Validation List Drop-Down Based On 2nd Data Validation List Drop-Down Excel Magic Trick 550: Data Validation List Drop-Down Based On 2nd Data Validation List Drop-Down - YouTube
but could not get them to work for my scenario

````````````````````````````````````````````

Select ModelCT4-3/8*Note- This is a list box which gets its data from another sheet
Select Hardware? Avail Hardware LB based on Model*Note- I need a formula that will display a List Box for the Avail Hardware

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Column D
Column AG
Model
Avail Hardware
Row 22
CT4-3/8
TB_Eighteen_In
Row 23 CT4.5-3/8 TB_TwentyTwo_In
Row 24 CT5-3/8 TB_TwentyFour_In
Column AH
Column AJColumn AK
LB_TB_Fifteen_In
LB_TB_Eighteen_InLB_TB_TwentyTwo_In
Row 4
Type 1
Type 1Type 1
Row 5Type 2Type 2Type 2 Special
Row 6Type 3Type 3Type 3
Row 7Type 4Type 4 SpecialType 4
Row 8Type 5Type 5Custom
Row 9Type 6Type 6
Row 10CustomType 7
Row 11 Type 8
Row 12 Custom

<colgroup><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi Cl,
what you need to do here is to use the name manager and name the ranges. The names must match the values in column AG exactly. Range AH4:AH10 would be name TB_Fifteen_In, etc. After you have all the ranges named, you need a lookup formula to find the value that matches your selection in the first list box. I would use index/match to avoid having to sort the data, since it's not in ascending order required by vlookup.
For the data that your'e showing and assumning your drop down is in A2 the formula would be
=INDEX($ag$22:$ag$24,MATCH($a$2,$d$22:$d$24,0)). This is the bais for the formula you will want in the data validation for b6.
As the formula is written above it will bring back the name in the cell.
For example, if the drop down selects CT4-3/8, the above formula will return the value in cell AG22 which is TB_Eighteen_In . What we actually want isn't the value in the cell, but the range that the name in the cell refers to.

To get the range that it refers to you have to put the whole formula inside the indirect function.

This is what needs to go into your data validation for B6.
=indirect(INDEX($ag$22:$ag$24,MATCH($a$2,$d$22:$d$24,0)))

Upvote 0
THANK YOU!! It works! You have made my day. I sincerely appreciate the time you gave to me. Because you were very nice and took the time to help me (and explain your solution), today I will do something nice for someone in your honor.

:) Have a wonderful day! :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back