Need Help Fixing Macros to set Edit Ranges (Getting Run-Time Error)

Status
Not open for further replies.

evxret

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all, after posting in various forums trying to find a solution for my problem, searching google for hours, I am coming here to see if anyone can help me with this situation I am stuck in at work.
If someone can fix this problem for me, you will end the heartache I've had for the last 5 days, so any help is appreciated very VERY much.

For the sake of me finding my solution faster, I created an example spreadsheet displaying exactly what I need from my macros.

Below, you will see pictured 2 buttons, both with macros attached.

The "Protect Sheet" Button will call a macro that protects the entire sheet, locking down all cells, making this spreadsheet completely un-editable in this state.

The "Unprotect Sheet" button, SHOULD call a macro that Protects the entire sheet as well, but also sets an edit range (in this case A1:A5). (There are also lines in this code related to entering a password; these lines work fine and can be ignored; I am only concerned with what comes after the IF statement located after the password loop.)

HERES MY ISSUE:
"Protect sheet" button works fine. Press button, entire sheet locks and password is set.

Once I press the "Unprotect" button, my password box loads up and allows me to type it in, once I type it in it unlocks, but I get a run-time error on the line of code setting the edit ranges.

Basically, I just need help revising this code to something that will work; I think I'm pretty close to getting the solution already; but I am also pretty amateur at VBA and could be completely off on everything.

1649714519441.png

Above is the sheet with the 2 buttons, demonstrating what I need done from each of the buttons in the text box to the right of them.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub ProtectSheet123()
    ActiveSheet.Protect PassWord:="abc"
End Sub

Above is the code I used for the "Protect Sheet" button, figured this wouldn't be necessary to include since it works, but decided on it anyway in case it's interfering with the other button.

VBA Code:
Option Explicit
Sub UnprotectSheet123()
Dim PassWord As String, i As Integer

i = 0

Do
    i = i + 1
    If i > 3 Then
      MsgBox "Only 3 Password Tries Allowed. Application will now save & close."
        Application.DisplayAlerts = False
        ThisWorkbook.Saved = True
        Application.Visible = False
        Application.Quit
      Exit Sub
    End If

PassWord = InputBox("Enter Password (Accessable by admin only)")

Loop Until PassWord = "abc"

If PassWord = "abc" Then
   With Sheets("Testsheet")
  .Select
  .Protection.AllowEditRanges("EditableRange").Delete
  .Protection.AllowEditRanges.Add Title:="EditableRange", Range:=Range("A1:A5"), PassWord:=""
End With
    End If

End Sub

Above is the code I used for the "Unprotect Sheet" button. This is the code that is failing, and after testing more than 10 iterations of the same few lines of code, all doing the same thing but written in different ways, I am stumped.

Here are the lines that are failing.
VBA Code:
  .Protection.AllowEditRanges("EditableRange").Delete
  .Protection.AllowEditRanges.Add Title:="EditableRange", Range:=Range("A1:A5"), PassWord:=""

Once again, I appreciate any possible solutions I can test for this, even if it doesn't fully help my problem, if you can get me one step closer to figuring out what's wrong, I don't know how I will repay.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
if you limit the access with
VBA Code:
Sheets("MySheet").scrollarea="A1:A5"
Isn't that enough
(PS. security isn't/wasn't the highest priority in excel, so for skilled people, any protection is easy to overrule)

Upvote 0
if you limit the access with
VBA Code:
Sheets("MySheet").scrollarea="A1:A5"
Isn't that enough
(PS. security isn't/wasn't the highest priority in excel, so for skilled people, any protection is easy to overrule)
Im not actually worried about people tampering with the code to try and unlock it; these numbers aren't significant enough for them to want to go any lengths to edit them after they're locked.
Inserted the code you recommended; this somewhat works. However, for my case, the cells I will need editable are going to be scattered around the spreadsheet, (A5,B10,A8,D15, etc). I just used range A1:A5 for the sake of it being an easy example. If someone can correct the code that creates the Edit Range, I can just adjust those cell values to match what I need on my sheet.

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub Test()

With Sheets("EVXRET")
          .Unprotect "MyPassword"                               'sheet is protected with this password

Set c = .Range("A5,B10,A8,D15")                       'your cells
          c.Interior.Color = RGB(0, 255, 0)                     'make them green to mark them

On Error Resume Next
          .Protection.AllowEditRanges("MyRange").Delete         'delete in case it existed
          On Error GoTo 0

.Protection.AllowEditRanges.Add Title:="MyRange", Range:=c, Password:="EVXRET"     'add with (another) password

.Protect "MyPassword"                                 'protect the sheet

End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
That looks like the same code and problem as here

Upvote 0
In future, please do not post the same question multiple times. Per Forum Rules (#12), posts of a duplicate nature will be locked or deleted.

In relation to your question here, I have closed this thread so please continue in the linked thread.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back