Need help grouping while also eliminating duplicates

MNik

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All,

I had another questions solved in a previous post here. Need help with statement to return a value based a cell containing multiple values

However, I did not realize that the group by statement that I had originally used did not eliminate duplicate values, it only hid them, which is not allowing me to make a one to many relationship. Is it possible to achieve results like in the attached screenshot while removing all duplicates from the "Components" field?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• BI Example.png
    BI Example.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 6

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Does your original table consist of two columns (Components and Status), and each Status cell contains only one entry, either "To Do", "Assigned", "In Progress", "Repeat Validation", "Backlog", "Done Review", or "Done"? If so, I would consider going about this differently: using Power Query to Pivot the original data into a table whose column headings are To Do, Assigned,..and the body of the table consists of the count.

Upvote 0
In the post you linked to above, you mentioned 'any combination of "To Do", "Assigned", "In Progress", "Repeat Validation", "Backlog", "Done Review", or "Done", I would like it to return a value of 2'. Does this mean any combination of two of more of the status categories? If so, then is it possible for some Components to have neither a 1, 2, or 3 (e.g., suppose a component appears only once with a status of "In progress")...or is that not possible? Regarding you comment about duplicates, I'm not sure I understand the issue. Suppose you have this source table (a set of 9 components appearing two times, with some variation on status categories):
MrExcel_20220913b.xlsx
AB
1ComponentsAll Status
2PRE-SERIES 31To Do
3PRE-SERIES 12Assigned
4PRE-SERIES 11In Progress
5PRE-SERIES 02Repeat Validation
6PRE-SERIES 18Backlog
7PRE-SERIES 20Done Review
8PRE-SERIES 32Done
9PRE-SERIES 33Assigned
10PRE-SERIES 13To Do
11PRE-SERIES 31To Do
12PRE-SERIES 12Assigned
13PRE-SERIES 11In Progress
14PRE-SERIES 02Repeat Validation
15PRE-SERIES 18Backlog
16PRE-SERIES 20Done Review
17PRE-SERIES 32Done
18PRE-SERIES 33To Do
19PRE-SERIES 13Done
Sheet1

This M Code in Power Query transforms the table, grouping like Components and then pivoting the table to count the number of items for each Status Category. Then the number of non-zero items are summed across each row (Values column) and logic is applied to assign 1, 2, or 3 (or 0 if none of the other conditions are met).
Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Components", type text}, {"All Status", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Components"}, {{"CGroups", each _, type table [Components=nullable text, All Status=nullable text]}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Expanded CGroups" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Index", "CGroups", {"All Status"}, {"All Status"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Expanded CGroups", List.Distinct(#"Expanded CGroups"[#"All Status"]), "All Status", "Index", List.NonNullCount),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Pivoted Column",{{"Components", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Values", each List.Count( List.Select( { [To Do], [Assigned], [In Progress], [Repeat Validation], [Backlog], [Done Review], [Done] } /*Record.FieldValues(_)*/,
                each _ >0 ) ) ),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Results Code", each if [Values] > 1 then 2 else if [Values] = 1 and [To Do] > 0 then 1 else if [Values] = 1 and [Done] > 0 then 3 else 0)
in
    #"Added Conditional Column"
The output table, for now, looks like this...but it can be trimmed down in Power Query after you confirm this is what you want.
MrExcel_20220913b.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJ
1ComponentsTo DoAssignedIn ProgressRepeat ValidationBacklogDone ReviewDoneValuesResults Code
2PRE-SERIES 02000200010
3PRE-SERIES 11002000010
4PRE-SERIES 12020000010
5PRE-SERIES 13100000122
6PRE-SERIES 18000020010
7PRE-SERIES 20000002010
8PRE-SERIES 31200000011
9PRE-SERIES 32000000213
10PRE-SERIES 33110000022
Table1

Upvote 0
My apologies if my original post wasn't clear as to what I am trying to accomplish.

It is possible for a component to have only one status, but most have multiple. The way the data is captured each component can have multiple status's due to having a ticket created for each logged incident in our system. Think of it like an IT ticketing system where a single user can have one or multiple tickets they have created.

Right now, I have the data grouped by "Components" which resulted in the "All Status" column showing each different status relating to the component. I was not aware that when grouping, it did not eliminate duplicates, but more so just hid them. Due to to the duplicate not being eliminated, connecting data sets is resulting in a many to many relationship

My goal is to create a column with values of 1, 2, or 3, which can then be used to create a red, yellow, or green measure based on that number.

Here is how I am trying to assign a number:

If the component only contains "To Do", even if multiple, then 1
If a component has any of the other status or combination of status's including "To" or "Done" then assign a 2.
If the component only contains "Done", even if multiple, then 3

Does that make more sense?

Upvote 0
Yes, I think I follow you. For the notional source table in my last post, would columns A & J below represent what you want to see as results:
MrExcel_20220913b.xlsx
ABCDEFGHIJ
1ComponentsTo DoAssignedIn ProgressRepeat ValidationBacklogDone ReviewDoneValuesResults Code
2PRE-SERIES 02000200012
3PRE-SERIES 11002000012
4PRE-SERIES 12020000012
5PRE-SERIES 13100000122
6PRE-SERIES 18000020012
7PRE-SERIES 20000002012
8PRE-SERIES 31200000011
9PRE-SERIES 32000000213
10PRE-SERIES 33110000022
Table1

This approach groups by Component name and counts and categorizes those counts by status. The output table could be reduced to just two columns (A and J) for subsequent use, and the results table would be delivered without duplicate Components. I modified the last line of M Code shown previously to adjust the rule for delivering "2":
Power Query:
let
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Components", type text}, {"All Status", type text}}),
    #"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Components"}, {{"CGroups", each _, type table [Components=nullable text, All Status=nullable text]}}),
    #"Added Index" = Table.AddIndexColumn(#"Grouped Rows", "Index", 0, 1, Int64.Type),
    #"Expanded CGroups" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Added Index", "CGroups", {"All Status"}, {"All Status"}),
    #"Pivoted Column" = Table.Pivot(#"Expanded CGroups", List.Distinct(#"Expanded CGroups"[#"All Status"]), "All Status", "Index", List.NonNullCount),
    #"Sorted Rows" = Table.Sort(#"Pivoted Column",{{"Components", Order.Ascending}}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Sorted Rows", "Values", each List.Count( List.Select( { [To Do], [Assigned], [In Progress], [Repeat Validation], [Backlog], [Done Review], [Done] } /*Record.FieldValues(_)*/,
                each _ >0 ) ) ),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Results Code", each if [Values] = 1 and [To Do] > 0 then 1 else if [Values] = 1 and [Done] > 0 then 3 else if [Values] >= 1 then 2 else 0)
in
    #"Added Conditional Column"

Upvote 0
Yes, this looks like it captures what I am looking for. What will be the best way to move the power query you provided into power bi?

Upvote 0
If you're doing this in Power BI, it might make more sense to build the query from within Power BI. Just connect to your workbook with the raw source table that resembles the first one shown in my post #3. I believe Home > Excel Workbook will make that connection. After you navigate to the file and identify the worksheet, you would choose "Transform Data", which will launch Power Query from Power BI. You should see the raw table from your worksheet. Then go to View > Advanced Editor and splice in my code:
Power Query:
let
                each _ >0 ) ) ),
    #"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom1", "Results Code", each if [Values] = 1 and [To Do] > 0 then 1 else if [Values] = 1 and [Done] > 0 then 3 else if [Values] >= 1 then 2 else 0),
    #"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Added Conditional Column",{"Components", "Results Code"})
in
    #"Removed Other Columns"
You will probably use my code beginning with the 3rd line ( #"Grouped Rows") and down. You may want to edit the existing code in the query on the 2nd line (#"Changed Type") to rename the columns to something other than the defaults "Column1" and "Column2". Also note that when you splice in the code, each row needs to end with a comma (,), except for the last one before "in". So when the splicing is done, you may need to add a comma to the last existing row then paste new code. Also confirm that the embedded reference to the previous step matches the name of the previous step (the text appearing to the left of the equals sign). This is a common issue where the last step of existing code and the first step of newly pasted code have mismatched names. In the version of the code shown here, I've added a last step to select only two columns (Component and Results Code).

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back