Need help identifying best software/system

custhasno

I have a large set of data on the daily jobs off all porters in a hospital . They receive work requests to a mobile device and start and complete the jobs on that unit. It feeds in to a database and i believe uses SQL to plop me out an excel spreadsheet of every job done each day (the start and finish time and any delays). That's a very simplified breakdown but it should be enough to explain and I have no control over the SQL side yet.

I then paste this worksheet in to one i have built that fixes a lot of formula issues and errors we get because we start some jobs before midnight and complete them after. This is all in Excel 2010.

So at the end of each year i have a spreadsheet for the previous 12 months worth of work and I have been using pivot tables and very basic excel tools to analyse this data and its understandably slow. My first iteration has all 12 months of "raw" data on one worksheet (over 3.6 million cells at one point).

I have been trying this year to see if it's better to have 12 separate worksheets/files (one for each month of the year) with a standalone pivot table on a worksheet that links to all 12, but I'm only getting started and it feels quite clunky.

Before i get any further, am i wasting my time by trying a function that's never going to work well? Are there any programs that do this function better? I have crystal reports but I've no training, it seems to want a database connection rather than local files. And Access 2010 is proving to be less than useful with my lack design skills

Each spreadsheet is 30 columns and approx 12-16k rows for a single month.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
For what it is worth ... Excel sheets comprise 1.4 million rows. So ... 12 - 16 K rows per month should not be an issue for Excel.

Upvote 0
It
For what it is worth ... Excel sheets comprise 1.4 million rows. So ... 12 - 16 K rows per month should not be an issue for Excel.
It's more the 5mins it takes to refresh after any update or save attempt and the regular "not responding" crashes that have me looking for a better way to handle the data.

Upvote 0
Post your code and sample workbook (no confidential information) so it can be reviewed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maplemeadows

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back