need help in displaying message to the end user saying duplicates are entered. Please check

jamilfarhan

Hello everyone!

I am completely new to excel and would require help from any esteemed members in this forum.

I have an excel sheet which gets values from the SQL database. This excel is used by Customer service team who manually enter data and in this process I have seen people entering duplicates.

So I need someone how can help me display a message when a duplicate is found and cannot proceed further once the duplicate is eliminated.

What I have done so far is this

Went into data validation by clicking data -->data validation and I enter this formula

=COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$1000000,$A2,$B$2:$B$1000000,$B2,$C$2:$C$1000000,$C2,$D$2:$D$1000000,$D2,$E$2:$E$1000000,$E2) = 1
in the custom section

So, If someone types in and manually enters the details and completes a row,then it checks all the rows and works fine and displays correct message, but when someone does a COPY paste from a different worksheet or deliberately copies it from the same worksheet , the formula doesn't work and it doesn't display a message.

Would appreciate if someone can help me in this.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if further clarification Is required

Regards
Farhan Jamil

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
if you have a unique identifier you could just use conditional format for showing duplicates

Upvote 0
if you have a unique identifier you could just use conditional format for showing duplicates

Hi

Thank you for your reply. This hasn't helped me. I possibly think macros will be a good option. I have tried googling it for a possible solution and tried some of the macros by editing it to a specific range, but still it hasn't helped me out. I have one macros which did help but it takes long time to respond saying that you have duplicates.

Possible reason :- I have nearly 7000 rows which is checking one value against another to identify duplicates and hence is taking time

The earlier formula I mentioned works perfectly with this macros but it takes long time to respond saying that you have duplicates.

Formula inserted in data validation:- =COUNTIFS($A$2:$A$1000000,$A2,$B$2:$B$1000000,$B2,$D$2:$D$1000000,$D2,$E$2:$E$1000000,$E2) = 1
Formula inserted in macros:-
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Range("A2:E1000000")
If Not cell.Validation.Value Then
MsgBox "Duplicate value entered"
End If
Next
End Sub

Would appreciate help.

Please advise

Regards
Farhan Jamil

Upvote 0
change 1,000,000 to 7,000. Instead of 5 million cells to check you will look at 35,000

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back