Need help rounding down results of a formula

mmartin6262

I need help adding round down to an existing formula. Any one out there know how to add?

I want to perform the following calculation & round down the results in the same cell. For example. . . my formula in B15 is =D13*F13/1095. Right now the result showing in B15 is 58.35342466. I want the formula to also round the result of this formula down to the nearest whole number & still return the results to B15 (despite the number of digits of the whole number - this example is two but it could be three or four digits.

Any help figuring this out will be most appreciated! Thanks!

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
I may be misunderstanding what you are looking for here. If you want to keep the exact value but round the displayed number, simply click the Decrease Decimal button in the "Number" group of the Home tab.

Upvote 0
Maybe:

=ROUND(D13*F13/1095,0)
But that does not always round down. If you want to round down, you would want:
=ROUNDDOWN(D13*F13/1095,0)
or
=INT(D13*F13/1095)

*Note: If you may have negative numbers, INT and ROUNDDOWN may give different results, i.e.
=ROUNDDOWN(-20/3,0)=-6
=INT(-20/3)=-7

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try TRUNC instead of INT...
I am thinking it really depends on the requirements. Negative numbers can get a little tricky.
=TRUNC(-20/3) = -6

Typically, when you think of rounding down, mathematically speaking, it is rounding to the the nearest whole number that is less than or equal to the returned value. In dealing with negative numbers, that would be -7 in my example. INT would do that.

However, TRUNC and ROUNDDOWN don't quite to that. They actually round to the closest whole number moving in the direction towards 0 (and returns -6 in my example). In some cases, that might be what the user is after.

So I think which one to use depends on user requirements. Of course, it is all academic if they are not dealing with negative numbers. Then any of the three options should work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back