Need help sorting with excel

SteveGT

Hi all,

I run a small catalogue distribution business and I need help sorting an excel file. At the beginning of each month I receive an excel file with various street address and numbers. I have to manually copy and paste each street to a new excel file according to the various carriers that I have hired. For example Joe is responsible for 11 Excel St.,12 Excel St etc. So I must search for Excel St and paste it to Joe’s file.

This process takes me hours and hours to complete. Does anyone know of an easier way to complete this task? It would great if I could search for a number of streets at one time and copy them all over to “Joe’s” file.

Any insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated. I watch call for help every night and love the Mr. Excel segments, I’m learning!

All the best,

Steve

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Have you tried AutoFilter Custom for that column contains the street name (you can have 2 criteria)? You can then select the visible cells and Copy/Paste.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm. I'm not too sure that I understand what you are saying. What exactly is the autofilter custom?

Upvote 0
Click the header of the column containing the street and choose Data|Filter|AutoFilter from the menu. Click the down arrow at the top of the column and choose Custom. Put your choices in the Dialog and click OK.

Upvote 0
I have 4 columns that I need to keep together

Example

Customer Name Street Number City Phone number
Jack Jack Street Second City 123-4567

So when I want to sort will four of the above stay together?

Thank you!

Upvote 0
You are not sorting, but autofiltering - showing only the rows that match your criteria, or to put it another way, hiding the rows that don't match your criteria. All the data for each visible row will still belong to that row.

Upvote 0
How exactly do I use the operators? How do I complete a multiple autofilter?

"show rows where" ____equals (there are various options as equals, contains etc.) and _______ Can I type the street names in the later blank? Can I put more than one name in the empty space? If so do I use , * etc.?

Thank you once again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back