need help to find text in sheet1 and return column date but only if greater than today

sumhungl0

Board Regular
ok I have searched everywhere but cannot solve this problem I've been dealing with for over half a year. I have an excel sheet with a daily schedule of items. equipment id is the left column and dates across the third row. I need to find text in the sheet and get the date it falls under, but only if it is in the future. I have several years of dates and one column for each day going to the right. in sheet2 I have a summary of items coming due and what date they are under, in which I manually type in the due dates from sheet1. basically I scroll until I find the item then I go to sheet2 and type the date that it fell under. when items are scheduled on sheet1 by other users, I don't always know about it and then I have to go in frequently and look for new items. what I would like to do is just have the summary sheet2 read from sheet1 so that I can just see the upcoming items due at a glance.

I have tried to do a named dynamic range in which the name represents a date range of today and all dates in the future. unsuccessful. I cant ever get the today part to work. here is what I tried. I set cell A1 to =today().

named range
Code:
=INDEX(SHEET1!$3:$3,MATCH(SHEET1!A1,SHEET1!$3:$3,0)):INDEX(SHEET1!$3:$3,COUNTA(SHEET1!$3:$3))

I tried to do a few index match functions but they get hung up on dates from the past and future where the same items are found.

Code:
=IF(INDEX(SHEET1!3:3,MATCH("*"&"oil change"&"*",SHEET1!5:5,0))>=TODAY(),INDEX(SHEET1!3:3,MATCH("*"&"oil change"&"*",SHEET1!5:5,0)),"not scheduled")
and
Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX(SHEET1!3:3,MATCH("*"&"oil change"&"*",INDEX((LEFT(SHEET1!5:5,10)="*"&"oil change"&"*")*(SHEET1!3:3>=TODAY()),0),0)),"not scheduled")

those last two codes are the closest I have to working correctly. only problem is that if multiple "oil change" results are present in row 5 then I get wrong dates. in the past or future. can anyone help me? thank you.

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
I'm not sure I fully understand the issue (would be nice to see an example of the data layout), but this might be a solution.

This formula will display the date of the next scheduled "oil change" that is after the date in A1.

ABCDEFGHIJ
11/4/2014
31-Jan2-Jan3-Jan4-Jan5-Jan6-Jan7-Jan8-Jan9-Jan10-Jan
5oil changeoil changeoil change
71/5/2014

<tbody>
</tbody>

Worksheet formulas
CellFormula
A7{=IF(INDEX(Sheet1!3:3,MATCH("*"&"oil change"&"*",IF(Sheet1!3:3>A1,Sheet1!5:5, 0),0))>=A1,INDEX(Sheet1!3:3,MATCH("*"&"oil change"&"*",IF(Sheet1!3:3>A1,Sheet1!5:5, 0),0)),"not scheduled")}

<tbody>
</tbody>
Array Formula:
The brackets
{ } are inserted automatically, do not type them in.
Confirm the formula using CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Tabellen im Web darstellen >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4.8

Upvote 0
perfect, thank you so much. i couldnt get the not scheduled part to work so i just wrapped the whole thing in an iferror. but other then that it seems to work for every scenario. thanks again.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear, thanks for the feedback!

Upvote 0
Here's a bit shorter, non-array, option that may also do what you want.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHIJ
301-Jan-1402-Jan-1403-Jan-1404-Jan-1405-Jan-1406-Jan-1407-Jan-1408-Jan-1409-Jan-1410-Jan-14
5a oil changegreaseoil change bc oil change
Sheet1

Excel Workbook
A
103-Jan-14
305-Jan-14
Sheet2

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tanurai

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back