Need help to prevent fruad

taps41

Hello all... i need some help in preventing ppl from copying my documents. As we noe... by locking and hidding the cell and protecting the sheet/workbook wif a password doesn't totally prevent ppl from copying... they can still copy and paste into a new document. Wat i need to ask is... is there any methods that doesn't require macro to disable the copy function. as in no one can even copy the contain and paste into another document.. It will be best if we can let it be a total read only document as in not even a click on the cell is allowed... the person can only scroll up and down, left and right, unless he/she has a password... would appriciate any help... thanks

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Not without some VBA. You can use VBA to prevent a user from selecting some (or all) cells, disable the copy and cut buttons and various other things which might be able to help you.

Post back and either myself or someone else on this board will be able to help.

Upvote 0
A copy-paste operation from a protected worksheet in which the formula cells are protected (locked+hidden) will convert all formulas to values in the paste area - so the pasted data won't be 'live' i.e. won't update automatically on changing input values. This feature should normally suffice.

If this is not enough, read on for an alternative technique...

a. Add new worksheet(s) to the workbook
b. For each range you wish to be displayed...
c. Select the range, hit Ctrl+C
d. Switch to the newly added worksheet where you want to show it and select a cell to locate the top left of the picture.
e. With Shift depressed, click 'Edit' in the menubar and click 'Paste picture link'
f. Right-click the pasted picture, click on 'Format Picture' and ensure that Protection is set to 'Locked'
g. Repeat steps c through f for all ranges you wish to be shown.
h. Protect (with password) the sheets containing the pictures. In doing so, ensure that the 'Objects' checkbox in the Protect sheet dialog box is selected - this will prevent users fron selecting even the picture for copying.
i. Hide the sheets from which you copied the pictures.
j. Password protect the Workbook so these sheets cannot be unhidden.

Note: You must take care not to make pictures of very a large range area at one time else the picture may be truncated. With some trial and error you can find the optimal size ofrange that can be converted to a picture in one go.
The advantage with using pictures is that it is a single unit and cannot be 'edited' in the normal sense (like individual cells).

Good luck!

Upvote 0
Thank you dk and Mala... I will try both methods... for u dk... can u help mi wif the VBA script to disable the copy function totally?? Thanks

Upvote 0
Hi,

There are a few things you can do to prevent someone from copying/cutting from your workbook, although I don't think you could make anything totally foolproof.

Firstly, open the VB Editor (Alt F11) and double click the ThisWorkbook icon which appears in the Project Explorer box (if this isn't visible then click Ctrl R). This opens the code module of your workbook. Paste this code:-

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Deactivate()
Application.CutCopyMode = False
End Sub

That will stop users from copying or cutting from your workbook into another. Obviously, you need to ensure that macros have been enabled.

Using this simple code means you don't have to worry about disabling toolbar buttons. A savvie user could write a VBA procedure if they really wanted to copy your work. The problem with Excel is that it's not totally secure (and probably isn't designed to be). Passwords can be cracked with the right software and then your application is wide open to abuse. You just have to assume that the end user is honest/doesn't know enough about Excel to be able to break your security.

I'm boring myself now so I shall go :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back