Need help w/ formula to calculate next X-month increment from a date based on today's date

ChrisLaR

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm trying to set up a formula that will tell me when the next date is based on a specific increment of time from an "origin" date.

For example, let's say I have a contract start date of 1/1/2020 and the contract renews on 6-month increments, I would want the result shown right now to be 1/1/2023. However if today were April 3, 2022, I would want the result shown to be 7/1/2022.

I also would ideally have a way to modify it for 6, 12, and 1 month intervals. So I have this formula right now that works as desired for 12 month intervals:

if(I3="12-Month Auto",edate(F3,(datedif(F3,today(),"y")+1)*12)

But i cannot for the life of me figure out how to modify it for these alternative intervals. I've dissected how the edate & datedif formulas work, but the best I can do is understand why changing the 12 in the formula above to a 6 doesn't work. I cannot figure out how to modify it, or what alternative formula I need to get the 6-month (or 3-month, 9-month, 1-month) intervals to work.

Any thoughts on how to make this work? TY!

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
did the solution here on a different forum NOT work - seems to work for me
work, shows 6 mths and 3 months

I year =DATE(YEAR(TODAY())+(TODAY()>DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(F3),1)),MONTH(F3),1)
6mth = =EDATE(F3,(ROUNDDOWN(DATEDIF(F3,TODAY(),"m")/6,0)*6)+6)
3mth = =EDATE(F3,(ROUNDDOWN(DATEDIF(F3,TODAY(),"m")/3,0)*3)+3)

Book2
ABCDEFGHI
2renewal
312/9/223/9/203-Month Auto
42/10/238/10/196-Month Auto
54/18/234/18/2012-Month Auto
64/19/234/19/2012-Month Auto
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
D3:D6D3=IF(I3="12-month Auto",DATE(YEAR(TODAY())+(TODAY()>DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),MONTH(F3),DAY(F3))),MONTH(F3),DAY(F3)),IF( I3="6-month Auto",EDATE(F3,(ROUNDDOWN(DATEDIF(F3,TODAY(),"m")/6,0)*6)+6),IF( I3="3-month Auto",EDATE(F3,(ROUNDDOWN(DATEDIF(F3,TODAY(),"m")/3,0)*3)+3),”Col I Error” )))

Upvote 0
Solution
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Reddit
If you have posted the question at more places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
Ah! Sorry I didn't remember the crossposting rule from when I first signed up here.

Confirming that YES the above solution does work as I hoped it would.

Appreciate the help and attention here!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back