Need help with a macro to import data from a text file to excel

Hart43

Hello, I'm new to the forums and although I've used excel for quite awhile, I've never actually had a reason or need to use macros for data import or manipulation. At the moment I'm trying to work on a modeling problem which will output the data in the form of a large text file. The data is divided up using 1000 energy bins, and 1000 timing bins for each tally (unique set of output data) like in this file https://www.dropbox.com/s/ig6u4mse44r66ll/ExampleData Unfortunately because of the applications for the data I can't reduce the number of bins, and the software being used for the modeling will not provide a more convenient form for the output file.
What I need is advice on how to create a macro that can extract this data from the output file and import it into a designated excel spreadsheet. It would be preferable to import each set of tally data from the initial output file into it's own spreadsheet, but as I said I have no experience using macros and I'm not even sure where to begin in making something that would work. Any help, advice, or even a basic source for examples would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back