Need help with complicated IF statement, possible IFS?

leopardhawk

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a worksheet that will most likely be used by two people (a couple) but could also be used by a 'single' (unmarried) individual.

I'll try to explain my conundrum. Here goes...

The worksheet contains a cell with the following formula and it works as intended but I would like to modify it to be as all-encompassing as possible.
Code:
 ="So, when should "&IF(personal_info!C9=0,"Name",personal_info!C9)&" & "&IF(personal_info!C11=0,"Spouse/Partner",personal_info!C11)&" start receiving CPP and OAS payments?  Only "&IF(personal_info!F9="M","he",IF(personal_info!F9="F","she","they"))&" can decide."

If C9/C11 and F9/F11 are blank, the formula returns: So, when should Name & Spouse/Partner start receiving CPP and OAS payments? Only they can decide. (this is perfect and I want it to stay like this.)

If C9 contains a name (Joe) and F9 contains an 'M', the formula returns: So, when should Joe & Spouse/Partner start receiving CPP and OAS payments? Only he can decide. (the 'Spouse/Partner' doesn't work here because Joe is single.)

If C9 and C11 contain names (i.e. Joe and Sharon), and F9/F11 contain M/F respectively, the formula returns: So, when should Joe & Sharon start receiving CPP and OAS payments? Only he can decide. (the 'he' doesn't work here because there are two people.)

I would like to modify the formula to do the following:

If C9 and C11 contain names (Joe/Sharon) and F9/F11 contain M/F respectively, the formula would return: So, when should Joe & Sharon start receiving CPP and OAS payments? Only they can decide.

If C9 contains a name (Joe) and F9 contains an 'M' but C11 and F11 are blank, the formula would return: So, when should Joe start receiving CPP and OAS payments? Only he can decide.

If C9 contains a name (Sharon) and F9 contains an 'F' but C11 and F11 are blank, the formula would return: So, when should Sharon start receiving CPP and OAS payments? Only she can decide.

I'm not 100% sure but perhaps the IFS statement would work here but I can't figure out the syntax. Appreciate any and all suggestions!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
How about
="So, when should "&IF(personal_info!C9=0,"Name & Spouse/Partner",personal_info!C9)&IF(personal_info!C11=0,""," & " &personal_info!C11)&" start receiving CPP and OAS payments? Only "&IF(personal_info!F11<>0,"they",IF(personal_info!F9="M","he",IF(personal_info!F9="F","she","they")))&" can decide."

Upvote 0
Fantastic, thanks so much for your help! Works perfectly...

:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back