Need help with formula and populating data into columns in separate sheet

kAR87

I'm not even sure where to begin with this but here is what I was asked to do:

"When a date is entered in column F(Contract Award/NTP Date) and the "Execution/Monitoring in Construction" is selected from the drop down list in column D(Project Lifecycle Phase),
the Column information for that row is populated to the corresponding column headings in the "CMI_PMT_Project In Progress" tab:
Customer Name, Project #, Project Name, Project Lifecycle Phase, Contract Award / NTP Date, Substantial Completion Date, Project Revenue, Date Last Updated/Reviewed."

I've been researching and all that I've been able to find is info on VLOOKUP and array formulas. If either of these are correct I don't know how to apply them to my situation. I can provide additional information if needed!

Here is sheet 1 named "PLRAM Tool" :

Customer NameProject #Project NameProject Lifecycle PhaseContract Award/NPTdatesubstantial completion dateproject revenuedate last upduted/renewed
AAA5920PNAExecution/Monitoring-In Construction$11111113/10/16
BBB5928PNCPipeline-Bidding12/9/156/15/17$1111113/8/16
CCC5925PNBPipeline-Bidding$1111113/10/16
DDDPNDPipeline-Bidding$1111113/10/16
EEEPNEPipeline-Bidding$1111113/10/16

<tbody>
</tbody>

Here is sheet 2 named "CMI_PMT_Project in Progress":

Customer NameProject #Project NameProject Lifecycle PhaseContract Award/NPT dateSubstantial Completion dateProject RevenueDate Last Updated/Renewed

<tbody>
</tbody>

So I need the information from the entire A row of sheet 1 to automatically populate in sheet 2. Hopefully I explained well enough!

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
The rules you stat say that when you enter a date in column F (Contract Award/NTP Date), and some status in column D, then the spreadsheet should again populate the same column F (Contract Award/NTP Date) with data taken from elsewhere.

So to say, if you enter a date in column F, the spreadsheet should overwrite your entry with something else. This does not make sense to me.

J.Ty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
2 ways to do this - with no helper and using ARRAY formulas, or with a helper column and using regular formulas. I will show both below...
ARRAY formula and no helper(ARRAY formulas can slow your file down when used on large files)...
data sheet
B​
C​
D​
E​
F​
G​
H​
1​
Project #Project NameProject Lifecycle PhaseContract Award/NPTdatesubstantial completion dateproject revenuedate last upduted/renewed
2​
5920PNAExecution/Monitoring-In Construction$1,111,111 3/10/2016
3​
5928PNCPipeline-Bidding12/9/20156/15/2017$111,111 3/8/2016
4​
5925PNBExecution/Monitoring-In Construction$111,111 3/10/2016
5​
PNDPipeline-Bidding$111,111 3/10/2016
6​
PNEPipeline-Bidding$111,111 3/10/2016

Then on the summary sheet (I only show a few of your headings)...
A​
B​
C​
1​
Project #Project NameProject Lifecycle Phase
2​
5920PNAExecution/Monitoring-In Construction
3​
5925PNBExecution/Monitoring-In Construction
A2=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet11!B:B,SMALL(IF(Sheet11!$D$2:$D$6="Execution/Monitoring-In Construction",ROW(Sheet11!$D$2:$D$6)),ROWS(Sheet11!$A$1:A1))),"")
entered using CTRL SHIFT ENTER, not just enter
then copy down and across as needed

Or, using a helper on the Data sheet...
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
F​
G​
H​
I​
1​
Customer NameProject #Project NameProject Lifecycle PhaseContract Award/NPTdatesubstantial completion dateproject revenuedate last upduted/renewed
2​
AAA5920PNAExecution/Monitoring-In Construction$1,111,111 3/10/2016
1​
3​
BBB5928PNCPipeline-Bidding12/9/20156/15/2017$111,111 3/8/2016
1​
4​
CCC5925PNBExecution/Monitoring-In Construction$111,111 3/10/2016
2​
5​
DDDPNDPipeline-Bidding$111,111 3/10/2016
2​
6​
EEEPNEPipeline-Bidding$111,111 3/10/2016
2​
7​
2​
I2=IF(D2="Execution/Monitoring-In Construction",I1+1,I1)
copied down

Then on the extract sheet...
A2=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet11!B:B,MATCH(ROWS($A$1:A1),Sheet11!$I:$I,0)),"")
copied down and across

Upvote 0
I am unable (not allowed) to access file hosting site :(

If you are OK with using a helper column (a column that does not contain any of your data, but is just used in calcs), then I suggest that you use my 2nd set of formulas.

Assuming your data layout looks like your sample from post 1, then in a new column (I used column I, if you have more columns than you showed, adjust the helper column accordingly) copy and past this...
copy/paste this to I2 (or to wherever you put the helper column)
=IF(D2="Execution/Monitoring-In Construction",I1+1,I1)
then past all the way down to the end of your data

This will create an ID for JUST those entries that contain your key phrase, the extract table will use this to pull out just those entries

Once you have done that, you are now ready to create the extract table.

Then on the summary sheet (I only show a few of your headings)...

See the middle table in my post 3. I only used a few of your headings, but as long as they are all in the same order on both sheets, the copy/paste will still work. If your columns are not in the same order, let me know, that is easy to adjust to.

copy/past this to A2...
=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet11!B:B,MATCH(ROWS($A$1:A1),Sheet11!$I:$I,0)),"")
then copy down and across as needed

If you follow my directions, you should not have a problem, but let me know if you do :)

Upvote 0
Thank you!

What exactly are you referring to when you say "extract sheet" and "summary table"? Also, my columns are not in the same order.

Upvote 0
the extract sheet is where your data is
the summary table would be the table you want your data to be shown

Upvote 0
Thank you, sorry I am not familiar with excel. So I tried to create my helper column in column L and this was the formula I used:
=IF(D2="Execution/Monitoring-In Construction",L2+1,L2)

when I clicked enter this is the message I got: Excel cannot calculate a formula. Cell references in the formula refer to the formula's result, creating a circular reference. For help with correcting a circular reference, click OK. or cancel.

I clicked OK and the value I got was 0.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back