Need help with formula.. possibly an array?

x8xviperx6x

First off sorry for not being able to insert as an excel table I couldn't figure out how to input such a large table..

I’m having issues coming up with a formula that will get theresults I need. Below is an image of the data on my sheet.

What is displayed in column A is the days of the year.Column C is the shift codes that each shift works. If blank they are off. Inthe array AM2:BK13 displays what each shift hours are in accordance to theshift code.

Columns C:F can change daily, its controlled by datavalidation using a drop down menu changed by user input.

The problems is L:AI columns for the entire year needs to autopopulate as the user changes the schedule. Thus resulting in an easy copy pasteschedule.

In cell L2 I’ve tried several IF formulas with a vlookupand/or Index/matching and the problem is vlookup and index matching result in a0 when there is a blank in the array am2:bk13 thus ending the formulaprematurely.

L2 example formula:

=IF(C2="A",VLOOKUP(C2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE),IF(D2="C",VLOOKUP(D2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE),IF(E2="B",VLOOKUP(E2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE),IF(F2="D",VLOOKUP(F2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE)))))

But my formula results in a 0 when it gets to the if(e2=”B”…results in true returns a 0, and doesn’t continue to the last lookup. Which I don’tunderstand why it’s a zero instead of blank for that hr range, and continue onto the last IF statement.

I thought about adding the AND statement for the AND(e2=”B”,am2<>””)but that is a lot more input to the formula. Example: The letters in RED arethe result I need for the auto population.

I'm going to guess I need to start researching array formulas...
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advanced!

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
In theory, if the result of looking for E2 is white, then you would have to put another IF, so that you can continue with the F2 search, for example:

=IF(C2="A",VLOOKUP(C2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE),IF(D2="C",VLOOKUP(D2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE),
IF(E2="B",
IF(VLOOKUP(E2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE)
<>"",
VLOOKUP(E2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE),
IF(F2="D",
VLOOKUP(F2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE)))))

You should also do it for C2 and D2

Try the following:

Book1
ABCDEFLMNALAMAN
2BDDA
3B
4CC
5DD
6A1
7B1
8C1
Hoja3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
L2=INDEX(AN1:AN7,SUMPRODUCT(((AM2:AM13=C2)+(AM2:AM13=D2)+(AM2:AM13=E2)+(AM2:AM13=F2))*(AN2:AN13<>"")*(ROW(AN2:AN13))))

Upvote 0
Just considering the formula with VLOOKUP you posted...

=IF(C2="A",VLOOKUP(C2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE),IF(D2="C",VLOOKUP(D2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE),IF(E2="B",VLOOKUP(E2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE),IF(F2="D",VLOOKUP(F2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE)))))

can be rewritten as

=VLOOKUP(LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),C2:F2),
AM2:BK13,2,0)

assuming that C2:F2 contains just one value at any time.
<strike>
</strike>

Upvote 0
In theory, if the result of looking for E2 is white, then you would have to put another IF, so that you can continue with the F2 search, for example:

=IF(C2="A",VLOOKUP(C2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE),IF(D2="C",VLOOKUP(D2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE),
IF(E2="B",
IF(VLOOKUP(E2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE)
<>"",
VLOOKUP(E2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE),
IF(F2="D",
VLOOKUP(F2,AM2:BK13,2,FALSE)))))

You should also do it for C2 and D2

Try the following:

ABCDEFLMNALAMAN
2BDDA
3B
4CC
5DD
6A1
7B1
8C1

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Hoja3

Worksheet Formulas
CellFormula
L2=INDEX(AN1:AN7,SUMPRODUCT(((AM2:AM13=C2)+(AM2:AM13=D2)+(AM2:AM13=E2)+(AM2:AM13=F2))*(AN2:AN13<>"")*(ROW(AN2:AN13))))

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Yes, that is correct, for it to continue the search i'd need to add IF statements to have it continue each column.
I tested out your index formula and it works up until the 4th row it gives me #REF errors, that's when all four shifts work a 6hr portion of the day and it is identified as shift A1 is first half, etc. Although A1 works B thru D show #REF .

Upvote 0
Just considering the formula with VLOOKUP you posted...

can be rewritten as

=VLOOKUP(LOOKUP(REPT("z",255),C2:F2),
AM2:BK13,2,0)

assuming that C2:F2 contains just one value at any time.
<strike>
</strike>

I will have to test that out, that is significantly shorter, unfortunately at all times column C2:F2 will have 2 or more letters

Upvote 0
Sorry, In the first formula I omitted change 7 by 13

You have to check the relative and absolute part of the cells.

=INDEX($AN$1:$AN$13,SUMPRODUCT((($AM$2:$AM$13=C2)+($AM$2:$AM$13=D2)+($AM$2:$AM$13=E2)+($AM$2:$AM$13=F2))*($AN$2:$AN$13<>"")*(ROW($AN$2:$AN$13))))

Try again

Upvote 0
Sorry, In the first formula I omitted change 7 by 13

You have to check the relative and absolute part of the cells.

=INDEX($AN$1:$AN$13,SUMPRODUCT((($AM$2:$AM$13=C2)+($AM$2:$AM$13=D2)+($AM$2:$AM$13=E2)+($AM$2:$AM$13=F2))*($AN$2:$AN$13<>"")*(ROW($AN$2:$AN$13))))

Try again

Flawless, I overlooked that too! Brilliant formula, thank you very much!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grijken

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back