Need help with formula

leopardhawk

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello forum friends,

Can someone please suggest an Excel formula to handle this simple task? I'm trying to show a Percent Difference between two variables. The result should always be a positive number.

When I enter it into Excel the way I see it on paper, using two variables (21940 and 21866) I get a return of 5000 when in actual fact, the answer is .337853

21940-21866 divided by 21940+21866 divided by 2 multiplied by 100

Also, the two variables should be able to be transposed with the results being the same.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
Disregard the 5000 result, that was my fault. I still need a way for this formula to be a positive percentage every time (if that's possible). Thanks!

Upvote 0
@Fluff Your formula gives me 33.8. I multiplied by 2 instead of 200 and get the .338 I am looking for. It also works if I transpose the two variables. Thanks!

Upvote 0
@Fluff Yes, it is formatted as a percentage. My goal is to show the percent difference between the two variables. Your formula works even if I switch the two variables and still shows a positive result. Thanks!

Upvote 0
@Lexcon07 that was one of the formulas that I had already tried. It gives a negative result if the variables are transposed. Thanks anyway.

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back