Need Help with VBA/SQL Syntax - Please

mattyhousecat

SQL_tblEstReqs_Remove = "DELETE * FROM tblEstReqs WHERE (tblEstReqs.EstNo = '" & tempEstNo & "') AND (tblEstReqs.StartDateAEMIS = #" & tempstartAEMIS & "# ) AND (tblEstReqs.EndDateAEMIS = #" & tempendAEMIS & "#);"

I think there is a better way i could do this, im not very good with VBA + SQL :(

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Here is how I usually like to do these sort of things.

First, manually create an example of the query I want to build using the normal Query Builder. When I have it doing what I want, change it to SQL View and copy and paste the code out to Word (or a Text file). This is the exact code I want to build in VBA/SQL, so this is my guide.

Next, I try to build the VBA/SQL code I need to do this, like you have above.

Then, I put a MsgBox in my VBA code to return that code I built to a Message Box, i.e.
Code:
MsgBox [COLOR=#333333]SQL_tblEstReqs_Remove[/COLOR]

Then I run my code to that point, and compare what the Message Box returns to the example code I pasted in Word.
Look for differences and correct them, until I have the code looking the same. When it does, my code should be good!

Upvote 0
I think there is a better way i could do this
FWIW, it looks fine to me ;)
As long as you correctly delimit (e.g. tempEstNo must be text because you wrap it in single quotes) and concatenate, this is how many examples would look. Yours is rather short, actually. If I had one other pointer to offer, you may find that it's harder to deal with field values that contain apostrophes (e.g. O'Conner) in vba and you can't always avoid them. So a simpler approach can also be to run a query that references fields from a form as sql isn't as tempermental with apostrophes as vba constructed sql is. If you can't use a query, or don't want to have to deal with the possibility that a form field could be empty, then surround your problem field reference with """ on each side.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear I was able to help! Equally surprised, since your post said nothing about you having a problem. Thought you were just looking for a better way to write what you had.

While joe4's advice is certainly valid, I don't think following it would have solved it for you since once you have a working sql that you need to express in vba, you'd have to use date delimiters and such, which means you would have (probably?) inserted the quotes anyway.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back