Need help with VBA; tried coding but was unsuccessful (ಥ﹏ಥ)

nlwid

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I am an engineer and recently I am faced with a task to keep track of the weight of our prototype during integration. The whole platform consist of multiple assemblies and sub-assemblies. My intention is to have an Excel sheet indicating that the weight of all child components are consolidated under the parent, if the weight of a higher assembly has already been inputted.

The following are some screenshots of the if the Excel sheet is working as intended.

(1 of 3) How the sheet will appear when no recording has been done.

1.PNG

(2 of 3) Assuming the highest level parent has the weight recorded, all subsequent lowel levels should indicate "Weight consolidated under parent" as shown

2.PNG

(3 of 3) If only the sub-assembly have the weight recorded, then only lowel levels of that sub-assembly should indicate "Weight consolidated under parent" as shown

3.PNG

I tried to achieve the above by formulas but hit a wall due to the multi-level nature of my list. In the end, I came to a conclusion that writing a VBA program is the only way. To try to achieve the above, I read up on VBA on forums and online tutorials and even borrowed a book before giving a shot on coding my first ever VBA program. However, it did not work as I intended.

Therefore, I hope the kind folks in this forum can assist in pointing me to the right direction. Below, I have copied the code of my VBA program for your reference. I understand that it will most likely be riddled with multiple programming errors. However, I still seek your patience and kind understanding in guiding me through this learning process. Thank you!

VBA Code:
Private Sub Weight_Update(ByVal Target As Range)

' The variable KeyCells contains the cells that will
' cause a sheet update when they are changed.
    Dim KeyCells As Range

' The variable Compare_Address is the cell for which
' other comparison variables will take reference from
    Dim Compare_Address As Range

' The variable Input_Level is the level of the row
' item for which the weight has been imputted
    Dim Input_Level

' The variable Compare_Level is the level of the subsequent
' row items which will be compared to Input_Level
    Dim Compare_Level

' The variable Weight_Status defines whether the weight of the
' line item is consolidated by the parent
    Dim Weight_Status

Set KeyCells = Range("D:D")

Set Compare_Address = Range(Target.Address)

Input_Level = Offset(Target.Address, 0, -5)

Compare_Level = Offset(Compare_Address, 1, -5)

If Not Application.Intersect(KeyCells, Range(Target.Address)) _
Is Nothing Then

Do While True

If Compare_Level > Input_Level Then
    Offset(Compare_Address, 1, 1) = "Weight consolidated under parent"
    Set Compare_Address = Range(Offset(Compare_Address, 1, 0))

Loop

End Sub

Hello nlwid.

"Tried using the above code and realise that it works. However, it seems there is something lacking in the code. The code actually resets the status of the list and only updates the children for the line item which the weight was inputted. Based on this, the following is what I think should be amended for the code."

I'm under some assumptions here. For one, I'm assuming that if a child is assigned a value, the parent will not be. And also that each list will have a single top level 'A'. If that's not the case, we need to adjust our logic by your supplying a broader scope of need.

"Instead of targeting the input cell and the children for update, the whole list should be updated whenever the weight column is updated"

That's fine, but not really necessary if we understand the rules for each group and how each group in the hierarchy relates to other groups. It's also not very efficient. This doesn't really matter unless your lists are fairly large or may become large at some point in the future.

"To also ensure that the list works holistically, the parent assembly should reflect a dash when all children are filled. This could be accomplished by counting the number of children (via the loop) and checking whether the number of dashes and remarks tally"

The code already understands the parent-child distinction.

Maybe provide some more details about your entire list and post an example of before and after and typical data entry practices.

I'd still like to see a formula guru provide a shiny example. I suspect that this can be done without any code at all. :)

Thank you for your detailed explanation. I will try to provide more examples of the intended result. Really grateful for all the help and advice I am receiving so far from this community ?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlphaRino

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back