Need more than COUNTIF function, I think..

sunstarer

Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
With some of your help I built a spreadsheet that tallies wins in a game, that populates a cell with a win count. Works great. See below.

=COUNTIF(A1:A10,"w")

I'd like to add more functionality since when no one wins the cells are blank.
My goal is to have the column report a '0' if there are no wins, rather than show a blank cell and this simple formula can only count 'w' and provide a total.
Suggestions anyone?

Thanks very much in advance.

If you are using the formula from post#19, then you will have a 0 in AK3.
If none is visible goto file , option, advanced, scroll down to Display options for this worksheet & check the box marked Show a zero in cells..., Ok

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I plugged in the formula in AK3 and yes, the show zeros was unchecked, but checking it on still shows a blank. It also shows a blank in the example provided rather than a zero. Am I missing something, again : ).

Upvote 0
When you get to the display options for this worksheet make sure you have the correct sheet selected in the drop down.
If that still does not show a zero, make sure you have no conditional formatting hidding zeros

Upvote 0
Change to format options for col "AK"
File>>Options>>Advanced>>Display Options for this worksheet>>Check the box that says "Show a zero for cells that have a zero value"

Upvote 0
I checked all of these settings and still no zero. What puzzles me is that in Michael M's example there is no zero there either despite having the new formula in place. Hmm...

Upvote 0
Got it, you have a custom number format set that hides zeros, change the format for those columns to General.

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back