Need some help with graphs.

samoward

Hi, I never really use excel, nor am I any good at it so this question may be seem stupid to many of you.

Basically for a school project, I had to make a questionnaire and retrieve data and then plot it in excel, I'm trying to find out if internet speeds at a student's house affects how much schoolwork they do at home.

I;m trying to present some data using graphs but mt complete lack of knowledge in excel isn't helping.

To put it shortly, two of my questions are 'How fast is your internet speed at home?' (with 8 options ranging from 'very poor' to 'excellent') and 'how much time do you spend on schoolwork at home each day?' (again with 8 options of time periods, i.e. '15-30 minutes', '1-1 and a half hours'). I am looking to create a scatter graph to see if there is a correlation between the two values, with internet speeds running along the X axis and study time up the Y. I am not sure which pieces of data to include to create the scatter graph, and am stuck.

I have the amount of people for both internet speeds as well as study time but am really confused. I am finding it hard to word my problem so all help will be appreciated.

Thanks! Sam.

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
I think you have to make the data quantitative in order to use an x-y graph. Internet speeds could be numeric from 1 to 8, with 1 as very poor and 8 as very good (or vice versa). Time studying is already numeric (if necessary use the midpoint of each bucket as the value -- i.e, [1 - 1.5 hours] could be valued at 1.25).

Another way (which isn't correlation, however) would be to graph the amount of time spent study as the "X-axis" and the average internet speed as the "Y-axis". Or vice versa: average internet speed as 8 points on the X-axis, and the average time spent studying as the Y-axis. If done this way, only one of the numbers needs to be quantitative.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok thanks alot, I had already converted the study time into numbers when creating tables, and the scatter graph has seemed to work when I do the same with internet speeds. Thanks!

New dilemma, I'm trying to create a bubble graph to show the most common answers (scatter graph doesn't show this, markers are just on top of each other) but for some reason the bubbles are all the same size. Any suggestions? :)

Upvote 0
I've never used a bubble graph I'm afraid ... not sure :(

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back