Need the final formula! Please help.

aleech13

Hit a road block. I am trying to create a formula that will automatically list 'A' people that are coming available in a given month. I got the formula that will list all the 'A' people, but I hit a road block on the part where it will list them only if they are coming available in the month specified. Here is my example set:

Sheet 1
NameTypeDate Available
Buddy
A1/1/17
GatorB1/19/17
AaronC1/15/17
EricC4/5/17
TedC5/5/17
ButchA1/8/17

<tbody>
</tbody>

I want the names to automatically populate in the below table:

Sheet 2
JanuaryABC
1(name)(name)(name)
2(name)

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have only been able to write an INDEX formula to be able to list all the 'A' people, but I dont know how to make it list them conditional upon the date they are available.

=INDEX(SHEET1!A2:A7,SMALL(IF(SHEET2!B1=SHEET1!B2:B7,ROW(SHEET1!B2:B7)-MIN(ROW(SHEET1!B2:B7))+1,""),ROW(A1)))

Can anyone please help? Its almost like i need to fit in somewhere =IF(AND(SHEET1!C2:C7>=(Cell with 1/1/17),SHEET1!C2:C7<=(Cell with 1/31/17)),???????, "")

Can anyone please help?

Thanks,

Aaron

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Maybe this could work? Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter.

=IFERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$7,SMALL(IF((Sheet1!$B$2:$B$7=B$1)*(MONTH(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$7)=(MONTH(1&$A$1))),ROW(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$7)-ROW(Sheet1!$A$2)+1),ROWS(B$2:B2))),"")

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response Cyrus. It appears that I am getting a #name error after hitting CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER. I looked through the formula to see if there was a text error, I didnt see one.

Upvote 0
Hm, it works for me based on the below setup (copy/paste the below into excel)

Enter formula into Sheet 2 Cell B2.

Sheet 1:

NameTypeDate Available
BuddyA1/1/2017
GatorB1/19/2017
AaronC1/15/2017
EricC4/5/2017
TedC5/5/2017
ButchA1/8/2017

<tbody>
</tbody>

Sheet 2:

JanuaryABC
1BuddyGatorAaron
2Butch

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Still getting the error. It may have something to do with my excel? I was working at the office when I had the question, but came home. My Excel is 2003 at home. I think the one at the office is newer? Would that be the issue?

Upvote 0
Yes that could be it. I don't think Excel 2003 has the IFERROR function. So, try it again at work.

You could try this for 2003...

=IF(ISERROR(INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$7,SMALL(IF((Sheet1!$B$2:$B$7=B$1)*(MONTH(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$7)=(MONTH(1&$A$1))),ROW(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$7)-ROW(Sheet1!$A$2)+1),ROWS(B$2:B2)))),"",INDEX(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$7,SMALL(IF((Sheet1!$B$2:$B$7=B$1)*(MONTH(Sheet1!$C$2:$C$7)=(MONTH(1&$A$1))),ROW(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$7)-ROW(Sheet1!$A$2)+1),ROWS(B$2:B2))))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yup, that did it. I will try the other formula at work tomorrow.

Thank you so much Cyrus! I spent hours looking for a way to do this. I greatly appreciate your help!

Upvote 0
Cyrus,

Is there a way to make the formula also base the return result off not just the month in which they come available, but also the year? I have some guys coming available in 2018 and its messing up my results for 2017

-Thanks!!

Upvote 0
could you post some examples of the issue and how you want it to look ?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back