Need to automate and redesign a file - Macro?

questforexcel

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,

Need some guidance and help.

I have a file that I need to update and prepare monthly. This file has over 100,000 data entry records.

I just dont have comfort with Macros yet. I need help to have this requirement sorted. Thank you

The following is what I would like to do each month :

1) The month fields on the file are labelled as 01 instead of January. I would the process to run and replace all the 01s to Jan, 02 to Feb.......12 to Dec.
2) I would like there to be a new tab added to the original data file, which shows charts each month - for an overall trend line with the current month records and future month records. comparing to budget. Idea is to show spikes / variances.
3) This file would be categorized based on 7 sub groups. I would like to either create 7 separate tabs for each of these sub groups or have new files created for each of these. Which one would you recommend?
4) The file size is likely to be very large. I would like to compress it as much as possible for ease of sharing and working.
5) The data would be categorized into two different sets - actuals and budget. The actuals have a unique numeric identifier which starts with "1" while the budget series would start from number series starting from "9". Could you advise how should I best differentiate these into two different groups to showcase my data in a more meaningful manner.
6) I would like to hide some columns as well as insert some new columns.
7) I would like to link this detailed file to a separate file . The other file provides summary of these detailed costs. Is there a way I could link these detailed numbers to the summary file? My idea is that if anyone would like to review details to there summarized numbers, they could do so by just clicking on that summary number which should open up the detailed records.

Thank you for all your guidance and support,

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
You've asked for a lot. I can't tell but most of what you want seems doable. But without a workbook to use for development and testing there is no way that someone will be willing to assist. That may not be possible with so many records but if you want help, from me at least, you'll have to provide something to work with or someone 'd have to try to accomplish what you need in the abstract or by trying to create a workbook to work with. If it is possible to post a workbook use the link icon above. link to a file on 1Drive, Dropbox etc.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back