Need to automate find/delete process

Matt26

hey all,

not sure if this is the correct forum for this question.

i have two spreadsheets. one contains a master list of computer names. the other contains a list of computer names to be removed from the master list (exception list).

i need to go through the master list and remove any computer names that are on the exception list- for example, if 'computer1' is in the exception list, i have to find and remove 'computer1' from the master list.

the exception list is quite long, and i want to automate this process if possible. not sure how to achieve this.

i'm using Excel 2007 Standard.

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Hi Matt, and welcome to the Forum

The simplest solution I can think of is for you to add a 'helper' column (say AA, but just use the next blank on the right of your existing table) to the master list and enter a formula that identifies whether or not the computer on that row is on the exception list. (I'm assuming that there is only one entry for each computer)

Assuming the first data row in each sheet is #2 (headers in row 1) and computer names are in column A, then:
  1. In Master!AA2 enter =if(COUNTIF(Exception!A:A,A2)>0,"Delete","-"), and copy down to all data rows in Master. This will return "Delete" to your Master list where the computer named in column A is also on the Exception list.
  2. Apply Autofilters to your Master list, and filter for "Delete" in column AA.
  3. Select all displayed rows (should now be all computers to be deleted)
  4. Select Delete Rows from the menu.
Problem solved!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back