Need to calculate 2 cells with datedif formulas in them

Debra Lee

Good afternoon you wonderful people

A B C
Coverage Began Coverage Ended Time Covered
12/1/2002 9/30/2004 21 months, 29 days
10/1/2004 12/31/2004 2 months, 30 days

I have =DATEDIF(D10,E10,"m")&" months, "&DATEDIF(D10,E10,"md")&" days" in each cell in "C" colum

What formula can I use to calculate the "C" column- Total time covered?

Thanks for your assistance

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Debra, here is one solution, assuming you want the total in days. (Oh, yes, I believe that your dates should be en columns D and E, instead of columns A and B, as you posted):
On your spreadsheet, in an empty column. say, F:
In F10, enter:
=DATEDIF(D10,E10,"d")
and copy down to the last cell you need, say F30.

In column C,:
In C31, enter:
=SUM(F10:F30)

Does this work for you?

P.S. To Whoever Reads This:
In my Excel 97, the DATEDIF() function works well. But, I didn't find it listed in the fx place, nor in the HELP place. I have all the Excel-furnished addins installed, but no additional ones. How is it that the function works, but I can't seem to find it as an available function?

Upvote 0
RalphA said:
P.S. Ti Whoever Reads This:
In my Excel 97, the DATEDIF() function works well. But, I didn't find it listed in the fx place, nor in the HELP place. I have all the Excel-furnished addins installed, but no additional ones. How is it that the function works, but I can't seem to find it as an available function?

I think I read somewhere that it is only included as a function for compatability with older versions of Lotus etc

Upvote 0
RalphA said:
P.S. To Whoever Reads This:

Hey Ralph, how's them BBQ down in Katy?

Here's Chip's explanation,

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm

Upvote 0
Debra Lee said:
I have =DATEDIF(D10,E10,"m")&" months, "&DATEDIF(D10,E10,"md")&" days" in each cell in "C" colum

What formula can I use to calculate the "C" column- Total time covered?

I contend that it's not really possible to get an accurate answer in these circumstances because of variable month lengths....but for something approximating a legitimate answer try

=DATEDIF(0,SUM(E1:E10)-SUM(D1:D10),"m")&" months, "&DATEDIF(0,SUM(E1:E10)-SUM(D1:D10),"md")&" days"

alter ranges as necessary

Upvote 0
Hey, there, Brian from Maui, nice to hear from you! BBQing is pretty good, here, so, como on over and enjo! Thanks for Chip's location and explanation on the DATEDIF() function, it was very clear, complete, and authoritive.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oculus

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back