Need to compare Inventory Items

FisherKat

Hi, looking for ideas as to the best way to take our On Hand inventory and compare it to our backlog inventory needs. This would seem straight forward, but unfortunately it's not. We purchased inventory and assigned those parts item codes and we were then bought out by another organization and were required to inventory product under their item codes and formats. This has left us with inventory that can be utilized for manufacturing, but because no system was put in place to utilize prior existing stock we have items that aren't being utilized and purchasing of the same items is occurring when they already exist in stock. I was thinking build an array of in stock items and then comparing the backlog production needed items to that array, but we are talking about thousands of items. We do have a data set associated in our data base that would show, (to some extent) items that could be utilized for a build. I know this is not a ton of information, but I didn't want to post a long drawn out request as this point with no clear direction that would take me down the more convoluted path. Hopefully one of you wonderful guru's could provide some guidance. I would be willing to create and attach a file to show what I need if anyone is up for a challenge. :) Thanks!!!

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Obviously you cannot compare the proprietary item codes which are different for each company. The comparison would need to be made by the OEM part, drawing or catalog numbers as applicable. Since there is no example data base provided, no suggestion can be made as to the method of making the comparison, but if the databases of the two companies are set up with equivalent parts information, it could be as simple as combining that data into one database and sorting on OEM part numbers, then filter for items with on hand balances.

Upvote 0
Obviously you cannot compare the proprietary item codes which are different for each company. The comparison would need to be made by the OEM part, drawing or catalog numbers as applicable. Since there is no example data base provided, no suggestion can be made as to the method of making the comparison, but if the databases of the two companies are set up with equivalent parts information, it could be as simple as combining that data into one database and sorting on OEM part numbers, then filter for items with on hand balances.

Upvote 0
I thought of that, but unfortunately, they did not record the parts by OEM for some reason, however their is a string that was used to identify items that can be used in different mfg models that is associated with most of their parts, but that is incomplete. I will create and upload an image, (or three), to show what I am faced with. :) Thank you for your response!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back